DVD Writers in Enclosures and My iBook

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I live in China, and as far as hardware is concerned, there's an abundance of cheap commodity parts available. However, there's hardly any of the mac-focused brands to be found (LaCie, eg).

I was thinking of buying a Powerbook for a while, but shelved those plans after the big Intel announcement. One of the many things I wanted a new machine for was the superdrive though, because my iBook G4 is one of the last to come without such a contraption. Things being the way they are, it looks like I'll be without a superdrive for a while.

To hold me over in the DVD burning department, I was browsing one of the local tech markets (you can take that quite literally: hundreds of small concession stand owners hawking hardware as if it were lifestock), and found that I could buy a Benq DW1640 internal writer and a generic enclosure for about 70 US dollars.

I'm a little worried that it won't work though. Does anyone have any experience with such matters? Does anyone have any experience with anything Benq combined with Mac, for that matter? If so, please let me know.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    I can't say if it will or will not work....but more than likely you will probably have to use a third party application -- Toast -- to burn DVDs. I've also heard of a hack named PatchBurn which enables third party DVD burners to work with iDVD and Apple's DiscBurner.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    I would be careful with what you can get for $70. Check the chipset and other stuff.

Could you get it from a place that allows returns?