Disappointing Expo

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
So, no new PowerBooks (which left me hugely disappointed, as I'm personally interested), no new Powermacs - just iPods and iTunes. And a .Mac upgrade just tossed in to make it hurt less.

I just talked on the phone with the friend of mine who is at the Expo and he told me that iPods and iPod accessories dominate everywhere. Interestingly, he remarked that last year there was more free gadgets and software given to the attendees.

Overall, a disappointment. Unless they will unveil something before the Expo ends, but I don?t expect something like this to happen ? it just doesn?t make sense.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    I'm curious to find out what mention there is of the Motorola GSM iTunes phone. I expected that Paris would be where they would really push it, since the European market is so wonderfully GSM and unlocked-phone friendly.

So far, haven't heard squat. Curious.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

I'm curious to find out what mention there is of the Motorola GSM iTunes phone. I expected that Paris would be where they would really push it, since the European market is so wonderfully GSM and unlocked-phone friendly.

So far, haven't heard squat. Curious.

For that I think I have an explination...

Apple gets *way* more money from iPods then it will from this Phone "wannabeiPod". Push what sells. Phone was more of a shot across the bow of the cell industry letting them know that Apple hasn't forgotten about them.. or their pathetic attempts at ringtones etc....

Bear in mind the phone isn't even Apple branded. Link It's Motorola's baby to advertise... you won't find an Apple logo anywhere....

Newsworthy, sure... Apple expo worthy? Marginal.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    talked with a few Apple people as well.

The Apple stand per se is smaller, to give more space to exhibitors. Which is good.

Was quite up-beat feeling.

I really felt that, like was said before, EVERYTHING was for the iPod. It seemed more like an iPod accessory franchise expo than a Mac expo.

There were the usual professional application stands (3D, Foto, Audio...) and then a part on productivity software (database, office, etc etc) and the Microsoft booth had a small section dedicated to the XBOX 360. Was just in a plastic bubble and a video looping of somekind of racing game (pre rendered). Not too glorious.

All in all, was an ok Expo.

I bought a Miglia DVB-T adapter. Looks like a 1st gen USB Storage key in size, but works awesome. Plug into USB2 port, intall EyeTV, and presto, you got a dozen digital TV channels. Works like a charm. Just wish there were TV programs worth looking at. And possibly not so much crap in froggy language. Sigh, guess thats why I download all my TV from the net.

But I digress.

Jobs was lurking around this morning after his meeting with journalists.

Yet again he didnt manage to meet the one and only me. Ah well, his loss.

On another positive note, there are some really cute Mac geek chics wandering the hall. Notexpo girls, Im talking about normal chicks roaming around interested in tech, etc.

If anything, the iPod Halo effect has attracted cute gals to aesthetically pleasing Apple computers.

Score one for the Jobster! Way to go dude. Im sure that was the plan all this time.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

I really felt that, like was said before, EVERYTHING was for the iPod. It seemed more like an iPod accessory franchise expo than a Mac expo.

Yeah, that and lack of updates to the aging hardware makes me suggest that they consider name change from Apple Computer to Apple Entertainment. How about that?

Don't point out that it's just venting my frustration over the lack of PB updates. I know that.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    It's seem obvious, that there won't be any major Mac update before the great switch.

Every Apple's engineers are focused on the Ipod or the IntelMac. Don't expect something great before june 2006.

BTW at the lecture of SJ quotes, it appears obvious that the new macs, will have a new case. I am ready to bet, that granted to the new centrino chip package, we will see smaller laptops macs, but also smaller desktops macs.

It will be the end, of the huges, empty case of the powermac.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    heh. ZO's post is funny for so many reasons. well done ZO nice wrap-up report on the expo... so i take it you are not french but just living in paris at the moment.

my brother in london bought a month ago this little thing for DVB-T UK free channels. hooked it up to a mac mini which is also the *ahem* bitTorrent "router"

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObje....0.15.1.0.6.12

(i put the powerbook image here just for spite )
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Originally posted by Emin

Yeah, that and lack of updates to the aging hardware makes me suggest that they consider name change from Apple Computer to Apple Entertainment. How about that?

dude, scary thing is that this is not too far off an idea.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

Originally posted by Emin

dude, scary thing is that this is not too far off an idea.

Well, once they get the movie piece in place, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple spins off "Apple Entertainment" to cover the iPod, the iTMS, and the iFilm store.

They really are aggressively positioning themselves to take point in the inevitable move toward digital content distribution?and the iPod nano is more than just a cool little iPod. One of the things hobbling the iPod for video playback is that the HD can't take it.

Not a problem anymore.