Burn .iso Files in WinXP? Linux Recs?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
How would I burn iso files onto a cd in windows. I'm trying to get/install linux to replace my oh-so-%#$@ing-wonderful Windows 98 on a P-II Compaq Presario 1800. Is there a program that I need, or do I just burn them like I burn files to a cd (through the OS), and if so will it run as a cd when I try to install linux.

Right now, I'm going to try Ubuntu Linux since I was told (here) that it was fairly easy to use. Ultimately I need something reliable (and free) to act as a server (web/ftp/network file server). I may also look into FreeBSD later, but if anyone has any recommendations, they will be much appreciated.

Edit: As far as server apps go, I use MySQL server, PHP and Apache. Are these generally easy to get/install for Linux/BSD? Again, thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I think you'll need to burn them, because as a rule of thumb, a computer can't install an operating system when it's running another operating system off of the hard drive it's installing onto.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    keotkeot Posts: 116member
    Use something like burnatonce. Burn it as an ISO image, or else it won't be bootable.

You could always install debian from floppy discs. Only needs two, because it pulls the rest of the data from their http / ftp servers.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by keot

Use something like burnatonce. Burn it as an ISO image, or else it won't be bootable.

You could always install debian from floppy discs. Only needs two, because it pulls the rest of the data from their http / ftp servers.

I also have dial up, since cable is so damn expensive and dsl is nonexistant, otherwise I probably would do something like that. I downloaded the iso at school, taking advantage of their wonderful bandwidth...

thanks for the link though...I'll try that...
  • Reply 4 of 5
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mynamehere

How would I burn iso files onto a cd in windows. I'm trying to get/install linux to replace my oh-so-%#$@ing-wonderful Windows 98 on a P-II Compaq Presario 1800. Is there a program that I need, or do I just burn them like I burn files to a cd (through the OS), and if so will it run as a cd when I try to install linux.

Right now, I'm going to try Ubuntu Linux since I was told (here) that it was fairly easy to use. Ultimately I need something reliable (and free) to act as a server (web/ftp/network file server). I may also look into FreeBSD later, but if anyone has any recommendations, they will be much appreciated.

Edit: As far as server apps go, I use MySQL server, PHP and Apache. Are these generally easy to get/install for Linux/BSD? Again, thanks.

The ISO (it's called ISO because the specs for the file system are ISO-9660 for the International Standards Organization, fyi) is like a raw dump of the file system in the CD , for most intents and purposes. So just dragging it into the WinXP burn to cd folder will just put the file on a CD, not create a CD from the file. A CD burned this way would just show the file to you when you put it in. That's not what you want. You want to be able to see all of the stuff contained in that file (aka the cd 'image'). Take keot's advice and try that program to burn it.

Most distributions have pre-packaged MySQL, PHP and Apache installs. So you should be able to install that from the CD, if not download it from whatever repository of packages there is for you distro. Installing the pre-packaged files is relatively easy. If not, you could always hope on to IRC or some message board and have someone talk you through installing it from source, but you probably want to avoid that at first until you're more comforatable with Linux.

Linux will work great as a file server for you. Just set up Samba for Windows browsing and you'll be all set.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    I've found that ImgBurn is the best burning utility for Windows. It's made by the guy that did DVD Decrypter. It has pretty much the same interface too. (it's also freeware)

Website

Guide to Use