How do I set up a Network - HELP Please

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi,

I recently purhcased a Belkin Wireless router and I have 2 macs and 1 PC accessing it wirelessly. However, ONLY the internet. How do I make the computers communicate with each other such that I can print on a different computer and share files?

Thanks for any input on this.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by derektodd

Hi,

I recently purhcased a Belkin Wireless router and I have 2 macs and 1 PC accessing it wirelessly. However, ONLY the internet. How do I make the computers communicate with each other such that I can print on a different computer and share files?

Thanks for any input on this.

Make sure that you have File Sharing and Windows file sharing checked in Sharing pane of System Preferences. You also do whatever you have to do in Windows for it to share its files.

With the Macs, after that you should be able to see the other Mac by clicking Network in the Finder. I have never owned a PC so I don't know personally, but it would seem logical that the Macs would be able to browse the Windows machine through the Network icon in Finder. Or log onto the Windows machine through Finder's "Connect to Server" dialog using the URL syntax "smb://.....".

As far as printing, I only know about the Mac, so if the printer is connected to one of the Macs, all you have to do is open System Preferences->Printing and Fax, and click Sharing and click the Share box and the printer that you want to share. Then the other Mac will be able to choose that shared printer in its Print dialog box.