Rumour: iComposite??

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
From <a href="http://www.cgchannel.com"; target="_blank">www.cgchannel.com</a> (free registration required)

[quote]Apple Acquires Nothing Real, makers of Shake and Tremor... Anyone for iComposite?

Wednesday, 06 February 2002

According to various industry sources, Apple has confirmed the acquisition of Nothing Real - makers of Shake and Tremor compositing systems. While details were sketchy, it seemed clear that Apple plans to utilize Nothing Real's technology in upcoming products.

The Nothing Real website is currently down for maintenance and will be back online in a few days. At this point, there is no information on the Apple website regarding the acquisition.<hr></blockquote>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    WOW...Shake is pretty spendy at 10K. I wonder how much Tech Apple is looking to integrate?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    mayamaya Posts: 28member
    All of it I hope... I love every bit of Shake. I hope it doesn't die
  • Reply 3 of 7
    logan calelogan cale Posts: 1,281member
    What is it?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Shake is a high end node based compositing system used extensively in the film industry. Think AfterEffects on steroids without as much 3rd party plug in support for about $10,000. I use it here at work sometimes for complex effects. The node based architecture is much clearer than AE's layered timeline for complex effects composites.

Having said all that... I love AfterEffects to death, and couldn't live without it.

PS. If you don't know AfterEfffects, it's like Photoshop for video. If you don't know Photoshop, go watch an Apple keynote.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Uggggggh.... I hate this word. There's no easy way to say it. soooooo....

confirmed:

There. That wasn't so bad now was it?

from <a href="http://www.VFXPro.com"; target="_blank">www.VFXPro.com</a>

[quote]Â*Â*

By Catherine Feeny

February 06, 2002 12:51 PM PST

Apple Purchases Nothing Real

Apple confirmed this morning that it has acquired Nothing Real, developer of Shake and Tremor compositing softwares. Apple plans to use Nothing Real's technology in future versions of its products.<hr></blockquote>

[ 02-06-2002: Message edited by: Maya ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 7
    THIS IS SO HUGE!

Basically, Apple is boldly moving in to the high end workstation business (think SGI)!

Wow!

Also, anything that gives Adobe competition is a good thing. Keeps them on their toes and makes sure After Effects keeps adding great new stuff.

FWIW, Nothing Real doesn't sell anything that runs on a Mac, but they did demo Shake on OSX just over a year ago at MacWorld SF 2001. The people from Nothing Real told me that they were going to finish off and release Tremor (which came out last summer) and then get to work on the port to OSX. This could leave one to assume that they already have a complete or near complete version of Shake running on OSX.

As far as acceptability of MacOSX as a real platform for visual effects/post production, this move is a big leap forward and is equally important as AW releasing Maya on OSX for this sector of the industry.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    mail from a new Apple employee:

[quote]Yes, as you all know now, it is true. Nothing Real has been acquired by

Apple.

Yesterday, we started the day working for Nothing Real and ended it working

for Apple. It was a VERY interesting and exciting day.

The official word is "Apple has acquired Nothing Real, a developer of

high-performance software for professional visual effects and

post-production based in Venice Beach, California. Apple plans to use

Nothing Real's technology in future versions of its products."

Aside from that, there really isn't too much to say at this time. I know

there are many questions brewing and they will be answered in time. For now,

our developers continue to develop, our support group continues to support

you, and many other things remain unchanged. On thing that must change right

away is our web site. You'll already notice that it is offline until some

obvious changes have been made. It will be back soon.<hr></blockquote>