Apple readying significant Mac mini update

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple Computer has begun to inform service providers of a revision to its Mac mini desktop computer that is now expected to quietly make its debut in a matter of days.

According to documents shown to AppleInsider, the revision, which will bump the low-end Mac mini from 1.25GHz to 1.33GHz and the two higher-end models from 1.42GHz to 1.5GHz, was originally slated for release last Tuesday.

Sources say Apple will continue to market the three new Mac mini configurations at the current price points of $499, $599, and $699. All three models will ship standard with Mac OS X 10.4.2 and include faster hard drives operating at 5400-rpm. The current Mac minis include 4200-rpm drives.

In the graphics department, both the mid-range and high-end 1.5GHz Mac mini configurations will see their video memory doubled via ATI's Radeon 9200 64MB graphics card with AGP 4X support. The low-end 1.33GHz Mac mini will continue to ship with 32MB version of the card, sources said.

Updates to the Mac mini's wireless technologies are also expected in the revision. Sources say Apple has redesigned the Mac mini's mezzanine board to accommodate a revised AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth combo card, which will ship on the 1.5GHz models and include Bluetooth 2.0+EDR technology. While remaining backwards-compatible with Bluetooth 1.x, Bluetooth 2.0+EDR is up to three times faster, offering a maximum data rate of 3Mbps.

Finally, sources say the high-end 1.5GHz Mac mini configuration will also gain an 8x double-layer SuperDrive capable of double-layer DVD burning.

All models will continue to ship with MPC7447A PowerPC G4 processors from Freescale and 512MB of PC2700 (333MHz) DDR SDRAM.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 174
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Great, but where are the PowerMac and PowerBook updates?
  • Reply 2 of 174
    I guess the usage of the word 'significant' is all relevant.
  • Reply 3 of 174
    I'd say this is a rather nice update, all things considered. Slightly faster CPU, now an acceptable amount of VRAM, and, most importantly, a faster harddrive. If I were in the market for a Mac mini, this update would make me pleased.
  • Reply 4 of 174
    Many 40GB mini drives from the stock 1.25 original config are in fact 5400 RPM 2MB cache OEM Seagate ST940110A (mine is), while the 80GB units were primarily 4200 RPM 8MB cache drives, so the 'bump' in drive speeds is only a bump for the 80GB machines... though if they get 5400 RPM and 8MB cache, it will be a wee bit more noticeable
  • Reply 5 of 174
    The Freescale 7448 is still conspiciously MIA...
  • Reply 6 of 174
    Why not use the RADEON 9550 like in the iBook.

That one IS CoreImage compatible....
  • Reply 7 of 174
    Quote:

Originally posted by maceddy

yeah it is a shame that not all the Macs are CoreImage compliant yet.
  • Reply 8 of 174
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by maceddy

Because of heat and cost constraints obviously.

The Mac Mini is already CoreImage compatible. I think you're confused about what CI is. ALL currently shipping macs are CI compatible.

I too wish the Mac Mini had a faster GPU, but I am not representative of the consuming masses.
  • Reply 9 of 174
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

Apple Computer has begun to inform service providers of a revision to its Mac mini desktop computer that is now expected to quietly make its debut in a matter of days...

Nice, but what about PowerMac and PowerBook updates? By updating the mini twice this year with only one update to the PowerBook, Apple is going to further upset its pro community.
  • Reply 10 of 174
    Quote:

Originally posted by ka2357

Nice, but what about PowerMac and PowerBook updates? By updating the mini twice this year with only one update to the PowerBook, Apple is going to further upset its pro community.

I don't know what to tell you. As a professional I don't remember such slow period of upgrades for Powerbooks and Powermacs. It's very sad. The last 2 years since the big splash introduction of PM G5 we have not seem much. Sluggish updates for the powerbooks and Powermac has been the trend. I can't really figure out out going on over there in Cupertino.

I don't blame just on Apple. IBM and Moto also are responsible for such letdown.

I just wish Apple would go back a put all the efforts they are putting on the ipod back to their professional computer line.
  • Reply 11 of 174
    Quote:

Don't you guys think they probably have teams working on updates to most of the lines simultaneously? They put out what they have when it's ready. They can't release what they don't have. If the chips aren't ready or aren't yet mass-produced then what do you expect them to do? Maybe they could sell the new Powerbooks without a CPU, and then when it's available, they'll ship it to you so you can solder it in place. You'll be on your way to faster Powerbook computing in no time. I don't get why people are so unrealistic. Seriously folks, Apple wants your money, and they'll do everything they can to get it, but they can't squeeze hundreds of thousands of faster and cooler PPC chips out of a turnip.
  • Reply 12 of 174
    Quote:

Originally posted by gugy

...I just wish Apple would go back a put all the efforts they are putting on the ipod back to their professional computer line.

Agreed. I wonder if Apple is thinking they can ride out the transition by surfing on iPod sales? I wonder if there's enough volume to do that.

Anyways, it's wait-and-see (though hopefully not too long)?
  • Reply 13 of 174
    Gigabit Ethernet should be included.
  • Reply 14 of 174
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

Because of heat and cost constraints obviously.

The Mac Mini is already CoreImage compatible. I think you're confused about what CI is. ALL currently shipping macs are CI compatible.

According to System Profiler and Apple's own website, the 9200 does not support Core Image. Also, the 9550 is dirt cheap and does not run too hot to be used in the Mac mini. It's used in the iBook which has even tighter space constraints. As usual, they are just crippling the specs so as not to take away sales from their other more expensive offerings.
  • Reply 15 of 174
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gugy

I just wish Apple would go back a put all the efforts they are putting on the ipod back to their professional computer line.

No, that makes far too much sense.
  • Reply 16 of 174
    Quote:

Originally posted by macbear01

Don't you guys think they probably have teams working on updates to most of the lines simultaneously? They put out what they have when it's ready. They can't release what they don't have. If the chips aren't ready or aren't yet mass-produced then what do you expect them to do? Maybe they could sell the new Powerbooks without a CPU, and then when it's available, they'll ship it to you so you can solder it in place. You'll be on your way to faster Powerbook computing in no time. I don't get why people are so unrealistic. Seriously folks, Apple wants your money, and they'll do everything they can to get it, but they can't squeeze hundreds of thousands of faster and cooler PPC chips out of a turnip.

No we are not unrealistic. Of course if the chips are not ready no new upgrades. but what about price drops? if will take forever to update the current line up then that would be a trade off for the consumers. What annoys me is the fact the line up needs a makeover so badly and Apple hasn't drop their prices because they can't update for whatever reason. Apple's posture on the situation is what's bad. Their silence is bad. Lack of action is bad. So if we are not going to see anything soon, I would expect at least price drops or more RAM or HD capacity of the current models.
  • Reply 17 of 174
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1984

According to System Profiler and Apple's own website, the 9200 does not support Core Image. Also, the 9550 is dirt cheap and does not run too hot to be used in the Mac mini. It's used in the iBook which has even tighter space constraints. As usual, they are just crippling the specs so as not to take away sales from their other more expensive offerings.

Full Ack!
  • Reply 18 of 174
    I have a practical question from a solely consumer user. I'm going to be buying next year--a mini or an iMac. Would I notice a difference in terms of launching applications from the slower hard drive in the mini? And are there other limitations imposed by the mini's 5400 drive? Boot times perhaps?

Consumers, like me, don't need processing power but I'm wondering if a slower drive could impact us most in just the kind of basic tasks we do every day.

(Would it have killed Apple to make the mini just a wee bit larger so they wouldn't have to limit the hard drives and graphics cards? I know, I know, to urge people like me to spring for the iMac.)
  • Reply 19 of 174
    I think Apple wants to get new PBs and PMs put more than we do - they've been pulling their hair out for years on the lack of new processors, evidenced by the change to Intel. I also have a feeling that new products are not suffering from the iPod or any other Apple product. The iPod is now off on its own - while it was developed using the profits from computer sales the computer division has all the money it needs, it just doesn't have the processors.

Unfortunately MWSF in January is probably the first opportunity for something new and that is only if Intel delivers, which I think they will.

The new mini looks pretty good to me, but then I work on a 1.5 PB hooked to a 23" display every day at the office. For those that need a basic Mac now it is a good option.
  • Reply 20 of 174
    Quote:

Remember that the Mini team has their own engineers, and this "mini" update (like the last one) isn't too significant. It's not like they pulled all the resources from Pro. They just had something ready sooner.