iBook or PowerBook

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi all,

I'm thinking about getting my wife an Apple notebook ... as I'm a PC user and know very little about apple products (except the iPods), I'm not sure which is right for her, though I think I know the answer.

She will be using the notebook for web browsing, office apps (word excel quickbooks), beginner video and photo editing, and managing her music collection.

For these purposes, is it worth it to spend the extra $1250 canadian to go with the power book (this is comparing the 14 inch iBook to the 15 inch powerbook).

Thanks in advance for your input.

BM

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    hxc04hxc04 Posts: 145member
    The 14" iBook has the worst screen you will ever use. So I would say either get the iBook 12" and throw a bunch of memory into it or spring for the 12" PowerBook. Both are great. I have the 12" iBook with 1.25 of memory and it never fails me and I have edited movies on it. Photoshop on the other hand will kill the preformence, so if she is planning on that I would say PowerBook.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    As the poster above said, the 14" has a terrible screen, since it's max resolution is the same as the 12" iBook and the 12" PB. Out of the three models, the PB is the nicest, but also the most expensive.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    In almost every case 12" iBook or 15" Powerbook is the best Apple laptop. I first had the Powerbook, then switched to iBook and got a huge external screen.

Sounds like you would be better off with the iBook considering speed and price. The 12" can't burn video on DVD's though. If you need that, then it's a tossup between 14" iBook, 12" PB, 15" PB, and (I'm not sure if this works right) buying an external firewire DVD burner to complement the 12" iBook.