What graphics card for video work?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I know the debate over which graphics card is "best" for the PM G5 has been raging for quite awhile, with arguments on both sides - favoring the GeForce 6800 GT (but effectively using two slots) vs the ATI X850 XT. I've read these as much as anyone.

But I'm not looking for gaming, so I'm asking primarily for video work. What do folks prefer? Is there a reason for a preference? I won't be driving two 30" displays - maybe two 20"? - and as far as I know either card will do that (with an adapter required for the X850). I and am looking for good real-time effects when using FCP and Motion.

Any comments appreciated. I'm looking to get informed prior to possible new Powermacs out this month.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    Any card with the most VRAM you can afford and apple offers (which I think is 256MB right now).
  • Reply 2 of 3
    I'd take the ATi card...less noise/heat, less power draw, pretty similar performance. Plus you get to keep a PCI-X slot.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by StealthRider

I'd take the ATi card...less noise/heat, less power draw, pretty similar performance. Plus you get to keep a PCI-X slot.

Yup- same here.