Titanium G4 powerbook

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
hey, i have a question about a problem that doesnt make sense to me....

My G4 titanium powerbook is roughly 4-5yrs old. I got it from my brother, and recently this weekend at my EMT class it rebooted itself randomly in the middle of taking notes... I didnt think anything of it b/c it only happened once.. and then it last night, it happened again, and then today it happened.. but today when it rebooted, it would begin to load to the white screen w/ the apple logo (apple screen) and then reboot, then it would get to the handle and password section, and reboot, and that went on for 5mins..... then today at lunch it rebooted, and before the the apple screen came up (while the screen was still black) it rebooted itself, and its like it was in this kind of loop... and it took about 5minutes or so to get it up to the logon screen...

there wasnt any signs of anything that would cause this.... the laptop wasnt hot, and the battery was charged full... and ive been using this laptop for about 6months since i got it from my brother... and its gotten extremly hot when ive had to do a hand ful of work on it, and it never rebooted itself.... but lately its been doing that, and i have no reason why... i have dropped it, placed anything on it. or nothing...

any suggestions??? b/c im stumped... i looked at everything that could cause it, and nothing made sense...... thanks again in advanced

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Sounds like perhaps one of your DIMMS has gone bad or is seated improperly. I wonder if Apple's hardware test cd could at least diagnose the issue?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    I had a similar problem with my Powerbook G4 550MHz. Took me weeks to figure out what went wrong. It was a loose screw! And it progressively got worse over time as the screw got looser.

When one of the screws was loose, alternating pressure from my palm must've made and break a contact somewhere. The protection circuitry kicked in and slept the machine. In my case, I had to press the power button to turn the machine back on, it doesn't auto restart like yours.

Turn your machine on, and try pressing the case in all locations to see if you can find the restart "trigger". If you can find a consistent spot, then you've found the location of the screw. Open the case, and tighten it and you're set!

Weird, I know. But it worked for me. The Powerbook never went to sleep again without me asking it to. Good luck!
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Thanks, any more suggestions will be appreciated thanks again... going to try it
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by ragingloogie

Thanks, any more suggestions will be appreciated thanks again... going to try it

well, the screw thing idea didnt work.. its not a loose screw.. im thinking that either im going to have to redo the whole system or replace the hdd...:-\\ which im not looking forward too either.... but i guess the pluse side of that is i can put a 60GB hdd in there or 80GB hdd, but i think 60 would be enough.. im just using it for school notes and what not....

anyways... if anyone else can think of something else that could be the problem besides the operating system going hey wire, or the hdd is going bad, let me know, thank

also, if anyone can figure out how to install tiger w/out the dvd drive (super drive) that'd be great too! thanks....
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by ragingloogie

well, the screw thing idea didnt work.. its not a loose screw..

Does this happen only with battery? Does everything work fine when plugged in with AC power?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by drumsticks

Does this happen only with battery? Does everything work fine when plugged in with AC power?

nope, i tried that.. i dont think the battery is the problem... b/c the battery has been fully charged and would reboot itself randomyl.. .im going to bring it to the apple store and talk to the genius bar guys... ask them questions, ect....

thanks