LCD iMac vs iBook - too similar?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
If the Saraha G3 is SMP capable (as some people are reporting), wouldn't a dual processor iMac be significantly different from the iBook to keep the product lines from crossing? Although this wouldn't help the proliferation of Altivec enabled applications, it would probably help increase the number of multi-threaded applications.

I'm not suggesting that this would be the big surprise, but if no G5s are available for the pro models then this could deflect some of the "problems" caused by using the Apollo in the Powermacs.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Trust me on this one, the iMac is going to be different enough so that the i's don't become one and the same. We're going to be pleasantly surprised.

Mac Guru
  • Reply 2 of 6
    mokimoki Posts: 551member
    [quote]Originally posted by Mac Guru:

<strong>Trust me on this one, the iMac is going to be different enough so that the i's don't become one and the same. We're going to be pleasantly surprised.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

yep, there's no doubt about that. Can't wait to see people's reaction to it!
  • Reply 3 of 6
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Well, it's probably a given that an LCD iMac wouldn't be as portable as the iBook is. Portability is the reason you'd buy an iBook over an iMac.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    damn you guys...stop building up the new iMac...i want one NOW as it is without the "We're going to be pleasantly surprised" and the "Can't wait to see people's reaction to it!" damn damn damn

i'm so worked up right now that SJ will probably release a G3 800 iMac LCD with no other improvements and i will still order one at $1800 because i can't stop myself
  • Reply 5 of 6
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Simply put, if the iMac is going to have a similar feature set to an iBook it had better cost a lot less. A 15" LCD and bigger HDD's aren't even close to reason enough to pay Laptop money for a desktop unit, even for a very thin desktop unit.

Either it's going to be of similar spec but much cheaper, or of similar price but of much better specification.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    The iMac is still going to be larger than an iBook, despite the flat screen. The additional size lets it run a hotter processor, graphics card (and a more standard graphics card), faster HD and optical drives, etc. - these things are cheaper and faster than notebook components because they don't have as strict size OR power requirements. That's where the difference will always be.

-S