iPhoto-less Tiger Update

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
So, without realling thinking about it, I performed a clean install of Tiger. I then realized I left all my iLife apps ('04) on my Panther system, and as with previous installs of Panther (Can you say OCD?) I noticed that iLife was on there, but I was always able to get iPhoto back. When I installed Tiger, I used the Software Restore CDs that came with my computer November of last year and was able to get my garageband, iDVD, etc. but no iPhoto. I looked in the install notes and it doesn't say iPhoto anywhere for the software restore (As much as I can remember anyway), but I can't seem to figure out how with previous reinstalls of the OS, I could get iPhoto magically, and now I can't with Tiger. Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Panther included iPhoto 2, I believe.

If you have a Panther installation CD (the second of them, I believe), you should be able to manually install the package.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    i have a similar problem. i wanted t reinstall imovie, so i deleted it and now i cant find it on the software restore cds. neither is iphoto for that matter!

so if anyone has any ideas that would be great!
  • Reply 3 of 18
    ishawnishawn Posts: 364member
    I had to go ahead and reinstall Panther, and then I just upgraded to Tiger. Still same performance, and still the great apps I want to keep. I should have done it that way anyways. I am still (Even though I got my computer almost a year ago) weary of having to reinstall everything once in a while since a lot of stupid tasks can build up in a windows computer. Bad software could do that too I suppose... anyways I got it under control, or at least one way to get it under control.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    could you do that without erasing everything from your hard drive?

seems like a pain in the ass... but if its the only way to get imovie back i guess ill have to, seeing as i need that app!
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Not to state the obvious but P2P networks carry such things...

And if you really felt honest you could go buy it.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

And if you really felt honest you could go buy it.

Except I already did.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by iShawn

Except I already did.

If it came bundled with Panther... just reinstall Panther.. but based on your post.. doesn't sound like you 'bought' it. (at least not the stand alone version) Bundled software is licensed under the OS cd it came on. If the Tiger CD doesn't have it...you didn't buy it.

Perhaps you have previously done an upgrade install. (or backed up these apps prior to your clean install. It's $79 from the Apple store w/ free shipping. If you feel they 'owe' it to you then P2P away.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Yes, I bought it. Considering it came with the computer which I also bought. But hey, maybe I downloaded and got a working Mac OS X to work on a Dell computer. Whatever you tend to think.

Along with my PB 1.5GHz came two CDs, labled software restore which I had to use to get Garageband, Classic stuff, and iDVD for example, onto the computer. The Software Restore CD also has a Panther on it, for I clean installed with that set of CDs.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Quote:

If you feel they 'owe' it to you then P2P away.

I haven't touched the stuff since I became aware of what it does to the music industry, a few months before getting my Powerbook (That's in November '04).
  • Reply 10 of 18
    So what are you asking for? (so we are clear) Directions on how to whittle it out of the Panther CDs?

If so.. download Pacifist and just yank it off the Restore CD.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Quote:

So what are you asking for? (so we are clear) Directions on how to whittle it out of the Panther CDs?

If so.. download Pacifist and just yank it off the Restore CD.

No, As my post eariler today states:

"I had to go ahead and reinstall Panther, and then I just upgraded to Tiger. Still same performance, and still the great apps I want to keep. I should have done it that way anyways. I am still (Even though I got my computer almost a year ago) weary of having to reinstall everything once in a while since a lot of stupid tasks can build up in a windows computer. Bad software could do that too I suppose... anyways I got it under control, or at least one way to get it under control."
  • Reply 12 of 18
    well i solved my problem with pacifist.

the problem was that i coulnt find imovie (or iphoto for that matter) on the osx install discs. and i really didnt feel like installing panther again and then upgrading to tiger again.

it also seems odd that apple makes it so difficult to find some apps if only the app needs to be reinstalled not the whole system!
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by rob2786

well i solved my problem with pacifist.

the problem was that i coulnt find imovie (or iphoto for that matter) on the osx install discs. and i really didnt feel like installing panther again and then upgrading to tiger again.

it also seems odd that apple makes it so difficult to find some apps if only the app needs to be reinstalled not the whole system!

Yeah, I had tried just upgrading the Software install stuff (which was the same CD 1 of what Panther was to be installed with) but I could't get iMovie from that... odd indeed.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    I'm in a similar boat. I just did a clean install of Tiger on my brand new 80gb internal hard drive for my PowerBook and lost all of the iApps.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnJ

I'm in a similar boat. I just did a clean install of Tiger on my brand new 80gb internal hard drive for my PowerBook and lost all of the iApps.

of course...

a "clean install" erases (cleans) your hard drive

before installing the new OS.

In the future do an upgrade install or do the archive install to keep your applications and other files untouched.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    We paid for iLife when we bought the computer. If we then buy a future OS and clean install it, we should still have the right to install the iLife applications that we bought on the original install discs. I found that it was possible to re-install iDVD, iPhoto and GarageBand but it is missing iMovie. I think this is more a mistake/oversight on Apple's part. I am forced to download iMovie through P2P because Apple is not making it available to install from the original install discs separately.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

We paid for iLife when we bought the computer. If we then buy a future OS and clean install it, we should still have the right to install the iLife applications that we bought on the original install discs. I found that it was possible to re-install iDVD, iPhoto and GarageBand but it is missing iMovie. I think this is more a mistake/oversight on Apple's part. I am forced to download iMovie through P2P because Apple is not making it available to install from the original install discs separately.

Yes as you have a paid version of iLife you can install on a new OS if you want. The thing is iLife 06 may or may not work with Leopard 10.5 when it comes out only time will tell for sure.

8)
  • Reply 18 of 18
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    If iLife 06 doesn't work with 10.5, I would sure hate to see if any other Apple or non-Apple applications work with 10.5.