New iBook Question

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I recently purchased a new iBook, my first Macintosh. I'm a poor college student and opted for the 12" model with the standard 40 GB hard drive. I was dismayed to find that out of the box, my new computer only had about 25 GB of free space on the drive, is this normal? I know that the advertised hard drive capacity doesn't take into account formatting, but I can't imagine that OS X and the pre-installed software take up over 10 GB of space. Is something amiss?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    If you download omnidisk sweeper you can see very nicely what's chewing up your HD and do something about it. The free version of the software is more than sufficient for most.

--B
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Well... a drive advertised as 40gig, after being formatted, is really only about 37 gig.

Now, your new computer already has the OS, the iLife apps, Quicken, a Game or two ??? some of those iLife apps have libraries of sample images/movies (especially large, is iDVD and Grageband.)

So, while 25 gig avail seems a bit smaller than I'd have expected, it might be realistic.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    hxc04hxc04 Posts: 145member
    I feel your pain being that I to am a poor college student that bought the same iBook. I opted to look around the internet and I fould a cheap external 80g hard drive at tigerdirect.com for under $80 after shipping. It is well worth it. Keeps the iBoo running fast and I have more space to rip cd's.