Tiger Server nightmare

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello everyone.

I work at the computer lab for a public school system running Tiger Server. For the last month or so, the server becomes unbearingly slow when students log into their accounts. It takes about 10 minutes for their accounts to come up, and when they eventually do, the computers are really slow in launching applications (and pretty much everything else). This happens every day from about 9:30 in the morning to about 11 and then the problem goes away (like a cron job from hell or something). Interestingly, when this happens I tell students to log into the computers via the public account, where everything remains normal.

The server admin has not been able to figure out what is causing this. They've checked everything (the router, bandwidth use, etc) and nothing has worked so far. Does anyone have any suggestions on what the problem might be and how to fix it? This is more urgent for me than it is for our admin, since he is not the one that has to deal with angry students when this happens. Please help!