a question on classic Mac OS and OS X

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I partitioned an older Mac(G4) to run OS 9 (and also Jaguar), which I almost never do(that is, run OS 9), except for a couple of programmes now and then. But I should have no worries about installing OS X Tiger on the OS X partition. Right?

I thought it a good idea to ask before I go about doing this.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Right!
  • Reply 2 of 4
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NordicMan

I partitioned an older Mac(G4) to run OS 9 (and also Jaguar), which I almost never do(that is, run OS 9), except for a couple of programmes now and then. But I should have no worries about installing OS X Tiger on the OS X partition. Right?

I thought it a good idea to ask before I go about doing this.

I'm confused by your thread title because OS 9 is not the same as Classic. If you have a full install of OS 9 in one partition, that's not Classic but OS 9. Classic is a system whereby you can run OS 9 and OS X simultaneously on the same partition. I, for example, am running Panther and when I have to open an OS 9 app, Classic automatically starts up simultaneously and I can toggle between the OS 9 and OS X apps as if they were running on the same system (almost).

Unless you have some specific requirements you haven't mentioned, the partitioning is overkill and is probably less convenient than regular classic.

Although perhaps I've missed the mark all together.

--B
  • Reply 3 of 4
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bergz

I'm confused by your thread title because OS 9 is not the same as Classic. If you have a full install of OS 9 in one partition, that's not Classic but OS 9. Classic is a system whereby you can run OS 9 and OS X simultaneously on the same partition. I, for example, am running Panther and when I have to open an OS 9 app, Classic automatically starts up simultaneously and I can toggle between the OS 9 and OS X apps as if they were running on the same system (almost).

Unless you have some specific requirements you haven't mentioned, the partitioning is overkill and is probably less convenient than regular classic.

--B

Classic is MacOS 9 with modifications. The Classic environment is MacOS 9 running on top of Mach rather than its own nanokernel. Classic cannot directly access hardware which means that a very small number of MacOS 9 applications, utilities, and extensions won't work. The "and more" means that there are some files added to the MacOS 9 System Folder to support Classic. However, if your computer can boot into MacOS 9 and MacOS X, then your MacOS X Classic environment is by default the same installation of MacOS 9 that you use while booted into MacOS 9. To the user, the most visible difference is that Classic uses the MacOS X Finder rather than the MacOS 9 Finder. Even on computers that can't boot MacOS 9, the MacOS 9 Finder is still there.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by bergz

--B

Thanks for the return. Well, perhaps it may have been overkill, but when I got the dual 800 G4, one had various choices, and that is what I chose. It was partly because at that time I was going to be using a programme called Accordance, which had various installation methods, and it seemed to me like that was a good idea. Roy Brown's wife said to me that that seemed to make things more difficult, but the Accordance programme at the time had its difficulties with installation, anyway, in the transition. Now it seems to work fine, on OS X.

I can use what I called the classic Mac OS, or the older Mac OS, on the one partition. That is OS 9.2.2. That is not what I call the Classic environment, or whatever name you choose to give it. When I run a programme like FrameMaker, I can see it from the OS X partition, and I start it. The Mac, it goes in to the Classic mode, or in to Classic. It does not seem to matter that the programme is on the OS 9 partition. Sorry if that seems confusing, I just installed it the way I did, 9 on one partition, and X on another. I seem to have no difficulty in running programmes in Classic, which are actually on the OS 9 partition. I will say that the few times that I have gone to the OS 9 partition, things seem to go along faster.

Anyway, I believe that I am going to update to Tiger on the G4. I just was concerned that I would foul up those older programmes, and have to install them again. In fact, I probably will just get another HD, and put Tiger on that, as well as on my G5. I have quite a few things the way I want them on the older G4, and so I like to use it.