Rumors of special edition Madonna iPod abound

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Over the weekend rumor began to spread that Apple and pop singer Madonna are collaborating on a special edition iPod that could be released soon.

Although AppleInsider cannot verify rumor with any degree of certainty, both independent and online reports claim Madonna has been working with Apple on a pink-colored special edition iPod nano that will come preloaded with her entire music catalog.

According to the reports, the player is expected to be introduced during Apple's October 12th special event alongside fifth-generation iPods and several other product announcements.

Last year Apple entered into a similar agreement with U2 that produced a black and red special edition iPod that has sold well.

During a special event last month that saw the introduction of the iPod nano, Madonna joined Apple chief executive Steve Jobs over video-chat to announce that she was making her entire music catalog available for download through the iTunes music store.

Madonna had previously refused to place her music tracks online for legal download.

The pop singer also recently starred in a television ad campaign to promote the iTunes ROKR cell phone from Motorola.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    Wow, who could be next! Falco? The lead singer of Human League?

One can dream.
  • Reply 2 of 45
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    glad to see new possible special edition iPods... I wish more groups would get into the act. How much would Madonna's whole collection eat up though? 4GB may not be so much space when confronted with Madonna's prolific career.
  • Reply 3 of 45
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    So far the iPod only appeases one sense-- hearing. A lot of people seem to be of the opinion that Apple is going to tackle 'seeing' next with a video iPod. I think if we really try, we can convince Apple to make the smellPod! Air freshener and music all in one. The AromaTherapod!

Who's with me?
  • Reply 4 of 45
    Ok. PINK iPod nano... Madonna... mmmh... this sounds just... Gay (not that there's anything wrong with it...)
  • Reply 5 of 45
    Hey, at least the ladies will be happy...
  • Reply 6 of 45
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JoeAlamaiz

Ok. PINK iPod nano... Madonna... mmmh... this sounds just... Gay (not that there's anything wrong with it...)

So then why did you mention it?

I'm just sad that this is the most (and only, so far) important news of the day here.
  • Reply 7 of 45
    An iPod nano rimmed with lace and engraved with some arcane kabbalah symbols.
  • Reply 8 of 45
    "preloaded with her entire music catalog."

Wow. At first glance, this sounds exactly like the U2 Edition iPod, but with one VERY interesting difference (assuming that it's true)--this time, the music would be PRELOADED on the iPod in question.

This raises two interesting questions--one legal, one technical:

--it was my understanding that until the Apple/Apple Corp/Beatles debacle is settled, one of the things which Apple is NOT allowed to do is to sell music in a PHYSICAL MEDIUM--in other words, they can sell the iPod, and they can sell digital downloads, but they aren't allowed to sell music CDs. The U2 edition cleverly sidestepped this issue by including a *coupon* for the music, which was then downloaded off the iTMS (thus avoiding the sale of "music in a physical medium"). By preinstalling Madonna's music, wouldn't this be violating that aspect of the agreement? They're already pushing their luck awfully hard, as the iTMS is already on the verge of being a label in its' own right.

--even if it's all kosher to do so, how is the preloaded music supposed to be identified with/connected with the iPod's owner? When you use the U2 coupon, the music is downloaded from the iTMS with the same FairPlay DRM info attached to it as any other iTMS song--including the accountholder's name, etc. If the music is preloaded, it would have to be (gasp!) DRM-Free (or, at least, with minimal DRM). Since the iPod is (officially) one-way only--the music is not supposed to be able to go from the iPod back onto the computer--how are buyers supposed to transfer it? There are dozens of 3rd-party workaround utilities to do this, but Apple can't include any of them, I don't think.

So, again, assuming that the pre-loaded music angle is correct, it sounds like this means any or all of the following will be announced:

--Apple has settled favorable with Apple Corp, and is now completely free to sell music any way they see fit with no legal challenges

--Madonna has, amazingly, agreed to include DRM-less copies of her ENTIRE LIBRARY to be included with the iPod; and/or

--Apple has arranged to allow for *official* 2-way music syncing between iPods and computers.

If any or all of the above three are correct, it would be a major piece of news, I would think.
  • Reply 9 of 45
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Special Editions give Apple a good way to try different colors--AND nobody can say "apple they lie u take way the only cool ipod apple sux" when those colors become unavailable. They can come and go as Apple sees fit. See what sells.

Which works better if the artist tie in stays on the back--like U2--leaving it just a special-colored iPod on the front.
  • Reply 10 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kishan

glad to see new possible special edition iPods... I wish more groups would get into the act. How much would Madonna's whole collection eat up though? 4GB may not be so much space when confronted with Madonna's prolific career.

Actually, her career may not be quite as extensive as you'd think--I just ran a check on her discography, and I only count somewhere between 150-200 tracks total, which would be only around 600-800 MB. I think she has about 15 distinct albums (as opposed to "greatest hits/best of" collections, etc), with 10-12 songs apiece; throw in a handful of no-album singles, and that's around 170 or so total.

I suspect the reason she *seems* to have a larger number of songs than many other artists is because her "batting average" is *very* high--out of those 170 or so songs, a much higher percentage of them became hits than other prolific artists.
  • Reply 11 of 45
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BlueDjinn

So, again, assuming that the pre-loaded music angle is correct, it sounds like this means any or all of the following will be announced:

--Apple has settled favorable with Apple Corp, and is now completely free to sell music any way they see fit with no legal challenges

--Madonna has, amazingly, agreed to include DRM-less copies of her ENTIRE LIBRARY to be included with the iPod; and/or

--Apple has arranged to allow for *official* 2-way music syncing between iPods and computers.

If any or all of the above three are correct, it would be a major piece of news, I would think.

More likely it's just going to be like the U2 and Harry Potter situations.
  • Reply 12 of 45
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JoeAlamaiz

Enh, it could swing both ways.
  • Reply 13 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kishan

How much would Madonna's whole collection eat up though? 4GB may not be so much space when confronted with Madonna's prolific career.

Space is only a concern if you loaded all of Madonna's GOOD songs.

ALL media players have room for ONE song.
  • Reply 14 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by Unfiltered

Space is only a concern if you loaded all of Madonna's GOOD songs.

ALL media players have room for ONE song.

She DOES have a lot of GOOD songs. So space would be a problem.
  • Reply 15 of 45
    Rumor has it Madonna started this rumor herself to gain media attention and boost album sales?

Or not. But if there isn't a pPod we know who to blame.

And will Pink sue Madonna for infringing on her inherent business iPossibilities?
  • Reply 16 of 45
    I'm holding out for my Bo Donaldson and the Heywoods iPod! I've got to decide whether I'll go for the 4MB version that holds "Billy, Don't Be a Hero" in compressed AAC format or spring for the 40 Meg that can hold that song in uncompressed AIFF format.

When you're a one-hit wonder, the true fans want to hear every last nuance of that magical, unrepeatable phenomenon.
  • Reply 17 of 45
    Now that I think about it, a few weeks ago I saw a light pink car with a signature of Mary Olsen on the left rear trunk top. Don't remember the model. It was being driven by a middle aged woman.

As Jack Paar would say; "I kid you not!"
  • Reply 18 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Now that I think about it, a few weeks ago I saw a light pink car with a signature of Mary Olsen on the left rear trunk top. Don't remember the model. It was being driven by a middle aged woman.

As Jack Paar would say; "I kid you not!"

Erm ... "Mary Kay" or "Mary Kate"?
  • Reply 19 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

Erm ... "Mary Kay" or "Mary Kate"?

I don't remember. We were all traveling fast, and it was a signature. I just got a quick glance. I read that the Olsen twins were getting these sort of deals.

Edit: As I think back, it looked like four letters, but it was quick.
  • Reply 20 of 45
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Mary Kay Cosmetics has long been known for giving their salespeople pink Cadillacs after reaching a certain level. I doubt you saw a marketing ploy of the Olson twins.