migrating w/out migration assistant?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I've had a G4 for some time, and I just bought a slightly used G5. I thought I'd use the Migration Assistant to move all my user data and apps from the G4 to the G5 quickly and easily. Boy was I wrong!

The main drive on my G4 is a "slave" drive (I added it to the G4 later), and so wouldn't show up in firewire disk mode. I tried to change the jumpers to set it as a master drive; the G4 wouldn't boot up at all (I just got a screen with a folder and a flashing question mark). Took the jumpers out: now it starts fine, but when I try to start it in firewire disk mode, it just shuts down.

I'm a little nervous about futzing around with the G4's guts anymore (not that I'm very good at it anyway). Does anyone have any other suggestions on a quick and easy way to move the user data (and my settings, which I'd really like to not have to reproduce!) from the G4 to the G5? I can easily connect the two computers over my home network; could I just drag and drop applications? How about the users -- could I create users on the G5 with the same name as the users on the G4, then drag and drop all the folders from the G4 user folders? That seems a little too easy...

Thanks in advance!

jf

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Dragging and dropping won't work reliably -permissions issues.

I'm not understanding why the drive with your data won't show up as the FW Target Disk Mode. Does it have to be the drive with the System on it? If so, maybe just install an OS.

When you set the drive to Master, did you set the other one to Slave? Actually, I think either the second one is supposed to be set to Cable Select or both are supposed to be.

How exactly are your two drives set up? Are they both boot drives?