My e-mail to the mpeg-4 people. Opinions sought before I send it.

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I'm writing as a concerned computer user concerning the licensing issues impeding the adoption of MPEG-4 technology as a industry wide video standard. From what I understand, your current stance on licensing of MPEG-4 would require that not only distributors of MPEG-4 reliant software pay a fee, but also providers of content using MPEG-4. This is, in my opinion, a big mistake if you want MPEG-4 to be a widely used video standard. It seems analogous to JVC charging a fee to all producers of analogue video due to their invention of VHS media. This move would make the standard prohibitably expensive for parties interested in using it. At the fast pace that digital media is evolving, MPEG-4 could soon be eclipsed by a standard that does not tie content providers down with fees, and depending on the openness of this standard, this could be detrimental to the industry as a whole. However, openness and freedom from licensing hassles can drastically lengthen the longevity of even a technically inferior standard; a good example of this is the continued popularity of the mp3 audio format, in spite of new formats that have been developed that do a better job of audio compression. MPEG-4 could definitely be the mp3 of digital video, as long as it remains free for users and content providers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    I already sent one when I came home from school and saw no QT6 for me.

I said how it was in their favor to liscence it, because it would make them, as well as quicktime more popular. hehe.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Solishu: your analogy with MPEG-1 Layer III Audio (MP3) is excellent, however, I think you've missed the strongest part of that argument. Like MPEG-4, there is a fee invovled in licensing an MP3 encoder. However, unlike MPEG-4, there is no tax on content authors who create content utilizing MP3. This is the model Apple wishes the MPEG-LA to adopt. Apple is fine with MPEG-LA charging a fee for encoders/decoders, but content authors should not be charged for create content which uses these technologies.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Sent mine as soon as Phil put the address up..... dont forget, not only are we missing out on a great new technology, this is also holding up all fo the other improvements in QT6 as well (especially mpeg2).

cheers
  • Reply 4 of 10
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Comparing MPEG-4 to MPEG-1 Layer III may not be such a good idea. MP3 is the bane of the music industry in the eyes of many recording artists and record labels. MPEG-LA is just as anxious.

I haven't decided how I'm going to word my letter yet.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    But it's also a successful standard of the magnitude that hasn't been seen since ascii text.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    mm, how about an address for those of us without it?
  • Reply 7 of 10
    [email protected] - I think

Solishu, I agree that mp3 has helped the industry, but the industry is very blind to that fact.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Well, it hasn't helped the RIAA, but it's helped my music collection, and a dearth of Software companies/content providers.

Good email, Solishu
  • Reply 9 of 10
    My e-mail was 5 sentences long. I expressed my dissatisfaction, warned them of repercussions and urged them not to seriously consider the proposal.

I believe this will be effective enough...
  • Reply 10 of 10
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>Comparing MPEG-4 to MPEG-1 Layer III may not be such a good idea. MP3 is the bane of the music industry in the eyes of many recording artists and record labels. MPEG-LA is just as anxious.

I haven't decided how I'm going to word my letter yet.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah MPEG4 will be to the movie industry like, MP3 has been to the music industry. MPEG-LA knows this (I hope) and the liscesing thing may be one way to stop bad things from happening.

-Owl