iBook cannot see HDD.

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My iBook G4 800 had been getting a bit slow at starting up and shutting down. Then a couple of weeks ago it started up displaying a message about the clock having been reset, almost as if I had reset the PMU. About ten minutes later there was smoke coming out the vent and it went dead!

I dismantled the iBook and discovered that the inverter cable/reed switch had been rubbing on the hinge. The cable appears to have shorted against the chassis hence the dry ice machine impression.

I replaced the cable this afternoon but the iBook cannot see the HDD. I tried the hardware test disk and it just states 'Mass Storage - Passed'. Typing "devalias" in the open firmware shows the device but typing "dir hd\" and I get a device not found kind of error.

I removed the drive and fitted it to an external cradle which I then hooked up to my iMac. The drive seems fine and I was able to copy the important stuff from it.

After returing the drive to the iBook I used the OSX install disc and ran Disk Utility. But it didn't see the drive so there was no way to initilise the drive.

I'm at my wits end now, does anyone have any other suggestions? I am thinking about ordering a replacement IDE cable as a last resort.

Any further advice would be appreciated.