Backlight on iPod not working

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
So yesterday I was using my iPod (20gb only a year old, bought new, i guess 4th gen or possible 3rd), I held down "menu" button to turn on the backlight. The blacklight comes on for a second and then shuts off. Now I cant get my backlight to come on at all. When I hold down "menu", it does nothing. When I go to the main iPod menu and try to click on "backlight", nothing happens. Can anyone help me fix?

The iPod works fine for everything else (besides the backlight).

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    A few things...

1) If your iPod has a click-wheel, it's a 4th Gen. If it has a touch wheel and four individual buttons at the bottom of the display, then it's a 3rd gen.

2) You should probably double-check when you bought the iPod to see if it's eligable for warranty repair. You can do this by going to Apple's support site - you can enter your serial number and it will tell you if you are still under warranty. If you are, egt it to a retail store or mail it off as soon as you can. It'll cost $30, but you'll get another one if they find that there's somethign wrong.

3 If it's not under warranty, then I'm not quite sure what to tell you. Reformatting and updating the software MAY fix it, but I would definitely get a second opinion on that. I reformatted my iPod once and it was a pain in the ass.

4) You can always put the sucker up on eBay and say you can't get the backlight to work. There's a lot of people (like me) that hardly ever use the backlight, so that's not a major issue to them. Depending on what kind of shape it's in and what generation it is, you might be able to snag anywhere from $150 - $220 for it. It'd certainly go a little ways to the purchase of a new one.

Hope that at least gives you a place to start...