compression

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
When I import music on to my computer in itunes, I use Apple lossless.

What happens when I transfer this music to my ipod--

is this done in Apple lossless--or is there a different compression on the ipod?

Can i change compression on the ipod to allow more music?

Can I change compression on the ipod to give me more better sound?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    proxyproxy Posts: 232member
    When you first connect your iPod up it should give you three options.

1/ To sync your full collection automatically (if you've got the room)

2/ To sync to a playlist(s) of your choice, or

3/ gives you the option to sync manually. You can drag and drop your own music and playlists onto the iPod symbol that appears in iTunes.

So.. if you've got a stack load of Apple Lossless ifles then they might not fit. One way to get around this is to convert the songs you want while keeping the original lossless files. Here's how I'd do it.

Go to iTunes prefs and set the encoder to import using AAC or MP3 with whatever bitrate grabs you (160 or 192 kbps AAC VBR perhaps). Then shift-click to select an entire bunch of songs you want and go Advanced>Convert selection to AAC/MP3.

Once it's ecoded them, make two smart playlists. One Smart playlist has the rule Kind-is-AAC (or MPEG for mp3s) and the other folder has the rule kind-contains-lossless. Now just drag the AAC folder to your ipod and when you use iTunes to listen just use the Lossless folder.

Actually.. if your ipod is in manual mode you could just throw away the AAC duplicate files after they've been transferred.

There's maybe a more elegant way to do it or a nice script to automate it but it's nearly midnight and I need some sleep.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sammick

When I import music on to my computer in itunes, I use Apple lossless.

What happens when I transfer this music to my ipod--

is this done in Apple lossless--or is there a different compression on the ipod?

Can i change compression on the ipod to allow more music?

Can I change compression on the ipod to give me more better sound?

There is no compression in transfering to the iPod. It simply transfers the songs as files with the same compression as captured.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    proxyproxy Posts: 232member
    Found a superb Applescript to automate the process I described in my first post.

Find it here
  • Reply 4 of 4
    sammicksammick Posts: 416member
    Great!!! thanks--I downloaded it and it works like a charm