No screen should be smaller then the PSP for playing video

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
While the new ipod is pretty cool, in reality I think the screen size on the Sony PSP is really about as small as a screen should get for playing videos.

I guess the current ipod is a good test to see if people are interested in video but hopefully the 6G ipod will go with a widescreen (the screen only) thats about the size of the PSP's.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    4.3inch LCD screen with 480 x 272 in the PSP

vs.

2.5inch LCD screen with 320 x 240 TFT in the iPod

But the PSP doesn't have a HD. Oh and it's battery is 4-6 hours. (not the 20 found in the iPod)

Also... the Sony firmware doesn?t allow users to view digital videos at full screen unless they're coming from a UMD. So you have to buy physical objects. (not electronically)

Remember.. content may be more expensive for Apple to procure but there'll be no problems with physical marketing or packaging.

Click, download, watch. Done. PSP can't touch that.

• Reply 2 of 18
    i seriously doubt the ipod's battery life playing video will come even close to its battery life when just playing music.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Could have sworn I got full screen video when I borrowed a PSP.

Personally, I think the PSP id too big to carry around like a iPod. They are 2 different devices for 2 different markets.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

Personally, I think the PSP id too big to carry around like a iPod. They are 2 different devices for 2 different markets.

Excatly my sentiments. Nice to see a little common sense around here - the iPod is first and foremost a portable music player, hence it has to be pocket sized. Therefore, as soon as the 60Gb comes into work, I'll be there with my credit card, and the PSP, great though it is, will not have a place in my home.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

vs.

But the PSP doesn't have a HD. Oh and it's battery is 4-6 hours. (not the 20 found in the iPod)

Also... the Sony firmware doesn?t allow users to view digital videos at full screen unless they're coming from a UMD. So you have to buy physical objects. (not electronically)

Remember.. content may be more expensive for Apple to procure but there'll be no problems with physical marketing or packaging.

When movies are played of the memory stick the battery life is better since it doesnt need to spin the motor on the UMD.

I have no problem playing widescreen non-umd movies (like SW's eP1,ep2, ep4, ep5,ep6 and etc.) on my psp of my 1gig stick via 'ipsp software' ( http://ipsp.kaisakura.com/. A full-length movie in high-quality PSP/DVD mode takes between 500-800mb on space on the memory stick and you can reduce that size by reducing the picture quality.

FYI - I 'dont' use any Peer-2-peer networks.

The weakest part of the psp is the lack of a HD and while a 1-2gig memory stick is pretty good its pretty expensive and no way in the same league as the ipods 30/60gig HD. Im no fan of paying an extra $20-$25 for an UMD movie that I already own on DVD and this would apply if I had to pay about the same or even less for an itunes downloaded movie that I already owned as well. I will only buy one version of a movie and if I buy it on DVD then that will be the only version I will own and then I will use it as according to "fair use' laws and not give it to anybody else.

While Sony has nothing as cool as ipod/itunes they do have instant downloadable trailers and stuff that you can downloaded direct to your psp via its wifi connection to the internet and you don't need to connect it to a pc/mac for Sony's downloadable stuff.

I do think Sony has plans to offer more movies, trailers and music for downloading in the future as well to compete with ipod/itunes.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

I agree the PSP is too big to really carry around in your pocket like an ipod. While I think the PSP's screen is the perfect size for games and movies its UMD drive in conjunction with the space devoted to the control pads and buttons forces it to be larger then an ipod. Ironically after playing some games on the psp for a while I actually think if the psp was made even smaller it would be too uncomfortable on my hands for playing games.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    According to Apple's iPod spec page, the new 30gb iPod can play 2 hours of video, and the ne 60gb can play 3 hours.

Not exactly great battery life.

DG
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by dansgil

According to Apple's iPod spec page, the new 30gb iPod can play 2 hours of video, and the ne 60gb can play 3 hours.

Not exactly great battery life.

DG

That's not very good at all.

Mechanical devices regardless if its a UMD drive or a conventional HD will eat up batteries quickly. Flash memory is way better for battery life because there are no motors and etc. Video capable ipod nano, anyone? Just get out your microscope to watch movies on the go

The PSP is a better video device over then the new ipod, but it cant touch the ipod for portability, HD space, and playing music.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

vs.

Firstoff, who says that the iPod battery life is the same when playing video? The PSP lasts about 20 hours playing audio on Hold.

Second, you're wrong.

Third, not only are Apple's offerings paltry (five TV shows?), but the PSP can easily play simply reencoded vide.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Woah, we're talking about an iPod here, not a PSP. Apple = Small, so I would hate to be seeing a humungous iPod.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    octaneoctane Posts: 157member
    These PSP vs iPod rants are so pointless, this is NOT the video iPod. For every "missing feature" from the iPod that the PSP has there is an equal vice versa. ie Screen size-PSP, Storage-iPod, etc. Put another way, for every way the PSP excels over the iPod it can be said the iPod excels in equally as many, but different, ways over the PSP. (actually, imo, the iPod is 1 up just because the PSP has 'Sony' written on it *runs) Start comparing when they are closer to equal ground. This is like beating a dead horse.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by octane

These PSP vs iPod rants are so pointless, this is NOT the video iPod. For every "missing feature" from the iPod that the PSP has there is an equal vice versa. ie Screen size-PSP, Storage-iPod, etc. Put another way, for every way the PSP excels over the iPod it can be said the iPod excels in equally as many, but different, ways over the PSP. (actually, imo, the iPod is 1 up just because the PSP has 'Sony' written on it *runs) Start comparing when they are closer to equal ground. This is like beating a dead horse.

So you say ipod-vs psp rants are pointless, yet you ranted anyway.

So an ipod that actually plays video is not actually a 'video ipod'? Going by that logic Im still waiting for that 'ipod photo' to get re-released because my color 4-gen ipod that does display photos isnt really a 'ipod photo', right? If it looks likes a rose and smells like a rose......

My whole point was that Apple needs to make the screen bigger like the PSP on the next-gen ipod if they are serious about letting people watch videos. IMO the PSP screen is the smallest I would ever want. Obviously the only reason Apple didnt use a larger screen was for cost reasons. While Sony can loose money on PSP hardware and make it back on games and UMDs Apple does not have that luxury and they have to make money on hardware sales.

Even when Sony launches their giga-pack PSP this november for $299 its storage space is still its biggest weakness- http://www.pspworld.com/sony-psp/psp...01928.php#more

Even though this 4-gig micro HD is available for the PSP its to bulky to equal the portability of the ipod.http://www.lik-sang.com/news.php?artc=3707
  • Reply 13 of 18
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnsocal

Obviously the only reason Apple didnt use a larger screen was for cost reasons.

I doubt that's the reason at all. I think Jobs knows that there really is no use for a true video iPod right now, and that's why this is just a regular iPod that happens to play video. If movies could be legally downloaded, or if DVDs could be legally ripped like audio CDs, then I could see a video iPod - a genuine portable video player with a large screen - making some sense. There's just no market for that kind of thing right now.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Jobs also knows that if the "iPod" isn't pocketable the game is over.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    octaneoctane Posts: 157member
    no rant, just posting the obvious, and what's already been said by the people at Apple
  • Reply 16 of 18
    If demand for the video iPod is as expected (high), I foresee Apple taking another innovative approach and going beyond the scroll-click wheel design and using a touch-screen LCD iPod (imagine the entire iPod being a mini-LCD). However, the scroll-click wheel concept will still be used. Let me explain.

I believe Alpine was the first manufacturer to distribute to the consumer a touch-screen LCD with the PulseTouch technology, a system of vibrations and sounds that simulates the feel of real buttons and sliders on a screen that's completely flat. It even simulates different sizes and contours for different buttons, so you can navigate through everything without having to look at it. When you watch videos, the scroll-click wheel can disappear into 5, 10, 15 seconds (or never, depending on what the user sets it to) into the video, until you press any part of the screen, bringing the display of the wheel back up.

Battery consumption would be my only concern for implementing this, but I think they ought to at least consider it.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by SoopaDrive

If demand for the video iPod is as expected (high), I foresee Apple taking another innovative approach and going beyond the scroll-click wheel design and using a touch-screen LCD iPod (imagine the entire iPod being a mini-LCD). However, the scroll-click wheel concept will still be used. Let me explain.

I believe Alpine was the first manufacturer to distribute to the consumer a touch-screen LCD with the PulseTouch technology, a system of vibrations and sounds that simulates the feel of real buttons and sliders on a screen that's completely flat. It even simulates different sizes and contours for different buttons, so you can navigate through everything without having to look at it. When you watch videos, the scroll-click wheel can disappear into 5, 10, 15 seconds (or never, depending on what the user sets it to) into the video, until you press any part of the screen, bringing the display of the wheel back up.

Battery consumption would be my only concern for implementing this, but I think they ought to at least consider it.

I've been thinking about the possbility of a virtual click wheel on a lcd screen for the last year or so, but the biggest problem would be all the oily fingure print marks all over it.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Pf yeah and don't forget "scratches!"

However yes, that's a brilliant idea which I hope they adopt.