what wireless router?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi,

got an AMD 2800XP+ and an iMac G5 (no, not the latest...hehe)

What is the best wireless router to set up a network? Any other advice?

grtz

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sparhawk

Hi,

got an AMD 2800XP+ and an iMac G5 (no, not the latest...hehe)

What is the best wireless router to set up a network? Any other advice?

grtz

I have a Belkin pre-n and like it - hopefully it will be compatible with Apple 802.11n when it rolls out (via firmware upgrade?). Anyway, even as a normal wireless router it seems to work better than all my netcraft, linksys or other routers that I have had.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    regreg Posts: 832member
    So far all the wireless routers I have had worked good, airport, airport extreme, linksys and netgear. The airports stand up better after power fails and seldom have to be reset. The linksys and netgear have 4 ethernet ports (which I wish the airports had). If I had to pick just one I would go with the linksys because of the ports and its signal stays stronger than the netgear.

reg
  • Reply 3 of 6
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Linksys WRT54G

I have one at home and three at work. All are rock solid and easy to setup/secure.

Since it runs Linux, there are lots of enhancements via third-party software too.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    justinjustin Posts: 403member
    I use a Belkin DG834G wireless router with a double firewall..

It takes 802.11g which is faster than 802.11b
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Linksys didn't support static DNS, so in network with laptop it didn't work for me, so I bought dlink instead. Dlink used to have firmware problems as well, but with the newest firmware it has been solid.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    thanks for all the input, will look the mentioned routers up.

When i have orderen one, I will let you know which one i choose for