"I am the new AIM"

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
So I saw that banner here. Too bad AIM triton isn't on Mac. Too bad AIM on Mac can't even use Talk, which worked on OS 9 half a DECADE ago.

AIM has to have the most retarded Mac development team of any company. And I'm sure it's only one programmer that works on it every other month of every leap year. The state of IM on Mac is falling behind. I mean at least it's not a complete joke like Linux, with iChat. But iChat is so damn buggy I never use it, and it still has some severe problems, like no frickin Log In window, not editing Profiles, and not being able to reliably work with the AIM network (does video chat with PC AIM work? 100%? Then why bother.)

I wish either iChat would be great or AOL would update Mac AIM.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    there's always Adium or Fire... both of which support AIM/iChat accounts (and other IM clients)
  • Reply 2 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

So I saw that banner here. Too bad AIM triton isn't on Mac. Too bad AIM on Mac can't even use Talk, which worked on OS 9 half a DECADE ago.

AIM has to have the most retarded Mac development team of any company. And I'm sure it's only one programmer that works on it every other month of every leap year. The state of IM on Mac is falling behind. I mean at least it's not a complete joke like Linux, with iChat. But iChat is so damn buggy I never use it, and it still has some severe problems, like no frickin Log In window, not editing Profiles, and not being able to reliably work with the AIM network (does video chat with PC AIM work? 100%? Then why bother.)

I wish either iChat would be great or AOL would update Mac AIM.

Why stop at AIM? MSN Messenger and Yahoo! Messenger are a joke also.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    Actually, you can edit your profile with iChat.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by eekles77

Actually, you can edit your profile with iChat.

Yes but you cannot put links or formatted text in it. All I want from iChat is the ability to fully edit the profile, add links in away messages and have buddy icons animate.

I go back and forth between Adium and iChat. iChat just appears more slick though I do like the functionality of Adium.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Wow you can finally half-ass edit your profile? Only took them a few years. Sorry but iChat AV is a piece, for actual *IM*. Which is its core function, at least until 10 years from now everyone has a webcam on their computer/cellphone.

MSN and yahoo might be big overseas. But NO one uses them where I am from, New England. I know probably thousands of people, and one of them uses Yahoo, one uses MSN. Everyone uses AIM at URI for example. Even departments make official use of it. I really hope this new MSN/Yahoo thing doesn't mess that up and fragment the US IM market. A bad standard is better than none...

SO I guess AOL won't ever update Mac AIM. Anyone know anything more about the status AOL and Mac AIM?
  • Reply 6 of 22
    b3njb3nj Posts: 70member
    my case sux asses even harder.

EVERYONE i know uses MSN Messenger,

and i'm the only one that owns a Mac.

I can use Mercury Messenger, but hate that programme.. it's slow.. it's nasty to work with.. and adium is ok... but still.. i prefer MSN Messenger 5.0 (which sucks ass VERY hard.. damn.. It still doesn't support Webcam, NOT even voice chat!) and the other thing is that iChat doesn't support Voice Chat with other AIM users (which is also sucky).

btw, am i the only dick that still goes to the appleinsider chatroom in iChat?!
  • Reply 7 of 22
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Adium is the best chat client ever. End of story.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

like no frickin Log In window

iChat certainly has a login window, although it disappears if you use a keychain stored password.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Indeed Adium is great. Great UI, text IM support over every major protocol, and small footprint.

HOWEVER, lack of the A/V component and incomplete file transfer support keeps this from being the only IM app you need to keep on your machine. We need one app that kicks butt, not Adium/iChat/Skype/whatever else open at the same time.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    AOL must hate APPLE.....aol for OSX sucks ass!!! so does AIM for mac. ive tried yahoo for mac and its horrible u cant go into chat rooms. i cant wait for my PC to get fixed these horrible OSX programs are driving me nuts!
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Lol, AIM for PC sucks ass too. It has features, but its so ugly and unwieldy!

Go Adium!
  • Reply 12 of 22
    jedhajedha Posts: 24member
    bah.. no one use AIM anymore.. it's all MSN
  • Reply 13 of 22
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jedha

bah.. no one use AIM anymore.. it's all MSN

uhh maybe where you live...
  • Reply 14 of 22
    ibuzzibuzz Posts: 135member
    I'm hoping Google will bust em all with the mac version of google talk AV. All this proprietary crap keeps these apps from being usable. Maybe google has the kahonies to pull it off. 8)
  • Reply 15 of 22
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AOL Instant Messenger

"I am the new AIM"

Hi! I'm groverat, it's nice to meet you!
  • Reply 16 of 22
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Adium is pretty slick, the Tabs for example, are killer. But it's like iChat in that it....just doesn't work. Sending files, Talk, Video...?? No. Actual usefulness therefore? Of course AIM can't even Talk or do Video. All of the clients are good at some things and not others. It sucks. I wish Apple would step up to the plate and make iChat not suck. That is all. Add tabs. Users want it. Add file transfers that actually work, and kill all the bugs (profile editing not working would count.) YahooMSN would be nice I suppose for all the weirdos that use those.

Yeah it would be nice to see Google be a benevolent dictator monopoly in IM. iChat's preferences and interface still suck, compared to Adium or AIM, it's riddled with bugs and incompatibilities, and Mac AIM won't be updated until 2008. \
  • Reply 17 of 22
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    2 words... or actually, two products:

Adium: I have my Google Talk, AIM, ICQ, Yahoo, and MSN contacts there...

When I want to talk (and actually all my friends use it too now) I use Skype.

Audio is excellent and Video conf is coming soon.

I only use iChat to video conf with family.... and that may soon stop if the Skype video chat is as good or better.

I gave up on Yahoo, AIM, etc since YEARS.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    I always have iChat, Skype, Adium and Colloquy running. Both iChat and Skype I only use for communicating with one person per piece of software.

Adium is a great app. I'm pretty sure most problems with Adium are ultimately traceable to the closed, proprietary network protocols used by AIM and MSN. This is a permanent problem that no amount of reverse engineering can entirely fix. The best cure is Jabber or similar open network.

iChat lacks something totally basic that ICQ had back in 1998 - sending a message to user who is not online at the moment. Other than that, it's a pretty nice app to use.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    BTW, one of the main programmers behind Adium got swiped by Apple about 6 months ago..

Lets hope to GOD they let him run wild with it!!!!
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

BTW, one of the main programmers behind Adium got swiped by Apple about 6 months ago...

Is this true? I know the Fire and Proteus programmers got hired by Apple but I never heard ot Adium programmers working for Apple.