Yellow Dog Linux r0x0r5!!!!!

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I installed Yellow Dog Linux on my iBook dual-USB 500 w/combo tonight, as well as 9.2.1 and X.1.2. To summarize my experience with Yellow Dog on this iBook: Linux is now my main OS on this machine. :cool: This is so kewl!! Everything missing from OS X is here, plus you can still run Mac programs!! And I can forget about all those nasty dmg thingies in OS X that I hated so much, because now I have a native Linux distribution to run stuff on!! And the sound is AMAZING. I can play songs at probably like 2x the volume that OS X plays them on the iBook speakers. And it sounds EXCELLENT, seemingly better than OS X plays audio.

I am VERY impressed with Yellow Dog Linux. Plus, being based on RedHat, it is very familiar to me (I have a PC with RedHat at home).

Anyone with a Mac out there - install Linux. You'll never regret it!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Ummm, this is the Mac OS X forum, not the software forum. If you're going to be annoying, at least be annoying in the right place
  • Reply 2 of 35
    That's good to know. I just bought YBL and a new HD.
  • Reply 3 of 35
    [quote]Originally posted by Scott H.:

<strong>That's good to know. I just bought YBL and a new HD.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Bought?!
  • Reply 4 of 35
    [quote]Originally posted by torifile:

<strong>Ummm, this is the Mac OS X forum, not the software forum. If you're going to be annoying, at least be annoying in the right place </strong><hr></blockquote>

Annoying? A-ha, no.

Mac OS X - this is related to OS X.
  • Reply 5 of 35
    Yea bought. I just wanted the CDs. Don't have a burner either.
  • Reply 6 of 35
    You should give the ximian stuff a try (www.ximian.com). If you let it update your gnome to their version, it also installs the latest mozilla and evolution, as well as a bunch of other stuff. Evolution is really quite nice for mail, it works like outlook ... but is free and open source .
  • Reply 7 of 35
    [quote]Originally posted by kHack:

<strong>plus you can still run Mac programs!!</strong><hr></blockquote>After you reboot, though. Correct? Or is there a MINE app like WINE?

[quote]<strong>And I can forget about all those nasty dmg thingies in OS X that I hated so much</strong><hr></blockquote>That's a stupid rant if I've ever heard one. While were at it, to hell with Stuffit files!! Down with GZIP!! Tar compression sux0r5!!

[ 02-15-2002: Message edited by: starfleetX ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 35
    [quote]Originally posted by starfleetX:

<strong>That's a stupid rant if I've ever heard one. While were at it, to hell with Stuffit files!! Down with GZIP!! Tar compression sux0r5!!

[ 02-15-2002: Message edited by: starfleetX ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

No no - gzip and tar is very nice, and stuffit handles both very well. Disk images (.dmg files) are nasty, since they mount an additional volume. Plus, you have to then copy the stuff to your HD if you want to use it often. More inconvenience, but hey - that's what Apple is good at!
  • Reply 9 of 35
    This is definitely the first time I've heard somebody complain about DMGs. So it mounts an additional volume, temporarily, until you copy the files to the location you want them on your hard drive.... what's wrong with that?
  • Reply 10 of 35
    I find it hilarious that someone with "Mac OS X is the future" as a sig. is ranting about how YellowDog Linux is better than OS X and how Apple is the master of inconvenience... Hmmmm ironic?

How bout you just go buy a YellowDog box and go find yourself a YDL forum to rave in... We here feel like we need to talk about APPLE products.

Mac Guru

[ 02-15-2002: Message edited by: Mac Guru ]</p>
  • Reply 11 of 35
    Yea man. Your kinds not wanted round these parts. Get lost.
  • Reply 12 of 35
    [quote]Originally posted by sizzle chest:

<strong>This is definitely the first time I've heard somebody complain about DMGs. So it mounts an additional volume, temporarily, until you copy the files to the location you want them on your hard drive.... what's wrong with that?</strong><hr></blockquote>

It's slow and redundant for most software distribution. The only justifiable use is for when you'd be distributing an ISO type image where the user is going to burn it.

For me, the ideal distribution model would be where the archive opened up as a folder. Roll it into the Finder code (like how you could open up the System file on older Mac OS) so no external programs are needed, or have a plug-in type of an architecture so developers could support a variety of formats.
  • Reply 13 of 35
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member

<strong>

Annoying? A-ha, no.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

You're telling me what I find annoying? That's a good one.

[quote]<strong>

Mac OS X - this is related to OS X.</strong><hr></blockquote>

How exactly is this related to OS X? You said this to start the thread:

<strong> [quote]

To summarize my experience with Yellow Dog on this iBook: Linux is now my main OS on this machine. </strong><hr></blockquote>

What have you said about OS X? This is about Linux and that's fine but don't go saying it's about OS X. And maybe it's time you got a new sig.
  • Reply 14 of 35
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    I'm going to move this to the Software forum and hope that it improves.
  • Reply 15 of 35
    I tried YDL 2.1 on my 6400 and hated it. It took forever to boot, forever to load KDE and was disgustingly slow. The only thing I liked were all the games that came with it. I played jezzball a lot. Otherwise it didn't do a single thing that I wanted it to do. I put on 9.1 and was much happier.
  • Reply 16 of 35
    Gee... thanks for not answering my question. I'll re-post.

<strong>plus you can still run Mac programs!!</strong><hr></blockquote>After you reboot, though. Correct? Or is there a MINE app like WINE?
  • Reply 17 of 35
    [quote]Originally posted by starfleetX:

<strong>Gee... thanks for not answering my question. I'll re-post.

After you reboot, though. Correct? Or is there a MINE app like WINE?</strong><hr></blockquote>

There's MOL (MacOnLinux).

I'm not sure, but I'd guess it comes with YDL too. Only runs Classic apps, though, and I'm not even sure it actually runs all of them.

Bye,

RazzFazz
  • Reply 18 of 35
    My understanding is that it runs the Mac OS from withing linux. I'll tell you how well it works in a week or so.
  • Reply 19 of 35

<strong>This is definitely the first time I've heard somebody complain about DMGs. So it mounts an additional volume, temporarily, until you copy the files to the location you want them on your hard drive.... what's wrong with that?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Copying is an extra step. With tarball archives, they are decompressed automatically (stuffit expander) right onto the HD.
  • Reply 20 of 35

Copying is an extra step. With tarball archives, they are decompressed automatically (stuffit expander) right onto the HD.

Also, in reply to this: "How bout you just go buy a YellowDog box and go find yourself a YDL forum to rave in... We here feel like we need to talk about APPLE products."

Yellow Dog Linux runs on an "APPLE" product, so therefore I am talking about an "APPLE" product.

And I never said OS X is bad - it is far superior to OS 9 and Winblows. It could just use some polishing, especially to the speed.