Mac Mini 1.5 to become official? Suggestions, Thoughts?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
On the 19th, (assuming new powerbooks are released) I will be purchasing a brand new Powerbook. I would also like to purchase a Mac Mini, and get the 1.5ghz ones that have an ungraded graphics chipset. However currently it's the "mini lottery" because Apple is packaging them in 1.42ghz boxes.

Is their any chance that on the 19th Apple will start selling the 1.5ghz by default? I'd love to order them at the same time, but I"m not willing to get a 1.42ghz mac mini.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    when it's "Official" Apple will have a new part number for it. I'm still going back and forth regarding buying a mini or spending more and getting an iMac G5.

On one hand I love the compact mini and the price. I also could get the NEC 19" LCD that I want. On the other hand it's a G4 and lacks some other nice creature comforts that come in the iMac.

However the Mac mini lets me get a PPC and wait for the 1st or 2nd gen Macintel. I still cant decide if I want a laptop or a desktop Macintel first. I'm thinking I'll want a laptop because of school.

I think the mini is going to have to be it. As much as I like the iMac i'm interested in running dual monitors and using a KVM once I build my next PC (Dual Core Athlon..here I come) so I "have" to have an external monitor.

Once Apple gives us the part number for the 1.5Ghz mini I'll place my order. I'm hoping the 19th is the day
  • Reply 2 of 9
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    Yeah lets hope it becomes official quick :-)
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Yeah like tomorrow. I'm ready to place my order.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    There's also the possibility that the speed bumps are not a planned upgrade. The way the Mini's been selling, they could have ran out of both 4x superdrives and 1.25ghz chips.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

I think the mini is going to have to be it. As much as I like the iMac i'm interested in running dual monitors and using a KVM once I build my next PC (Dual Core Athlon..here I come) so I "have" to have an external monitor.

You can't run dual monitors from a mini. It only has one DVI port. You can run 2 on the iMac. One being the internal, and the other being driven via the mini-vga out and the easy run&reboot software hack for screen-spanning.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    You can split the DVI signal, but can not do dual desktops. I believe this includes the iMac; here you can have the internal video going, and then the same thing on an external monitor/projector, etc.

-walloo.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    lupalupa Posts: 202member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Guartho

You can't run dual monitors from a mini. It only has one DVI port. You can run 2 on the iMac. One being the internal, and the other being driven via the mini-vga out and the easy run&reboot software hack for screen-spanning.

I only think he intends to use one with the mini.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lupa

I only think he intends to use one with the mini.

Correcto. My post was vary vague so I understand the confusion. I plan to buy a mini as a stop gap and then replace it with a dual DVI system. That likely means a Power$mac. I guess my mini will hopefully then get pushed into hooking up to my future Samsung DLP
  • Reply 9 of 9
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    hmurchison, I was hoping that's what you meant, I didn't want you to be disappointed after all. Just wanted to be sure.

Quote:

Originally posted by willywalloo

You can split the DVI signal, but can not do dual desktops. I believe this includes the iMac; here you can have the internal video going, and then the same thing on an external monitor/projector, etc.

-walloo.

That's true of the iMac out of the box, but it's very easy to hack it to enable spanning.