Windows only

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
There are still some web sites and some companies that insist on using proprietary software that is obviously not Mac compatible.

Will this new OS on intel's be able to run windows apps without an emulator?

Also, is Microsoft the best emulatord? Or is there a better one out there?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    > Will this new OS on intel's be able to run windows apps without an emulator?

Not in Mac OS X, but you can boot them into Windows. Expect VMWare type solutions.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pbaker05

There are still some web sites and some companies that insist on using proprietary software that is obviously not Mac compatible.

Will this new OS on intel's be able to run windows apps without an emulator?

Also, is Microsoft the best emulatord? Or is there a better one out there?

The computer will be able to boot Windows natively. However, to run Windows apps on MacOS X/Intel you will need some kind of third-party software like VMWare, WINE, Virtual PC, Bochs, QEMU, or something. The upside is that each will run Windows apps at or near native speeds because they will run Intel code on Intel hardware.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    No one knows if the Intel based Macs will be able to boot Windows; this is highly dependent on what winds up in place of BIOS/OpenFirmware. Since no-one (outside of Apple's inner circle at least) knows what this will be, no one can say for certain. Apple has already stated that they will not do any work at all to make it compatible, but are not going to waste the time to make it specifically incompatible. The chips will fall where they may on that one.

Now there most likely will be third-party emulators/compatibility environments, but it is still a bit early to state them as certainties.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pbaker05

oldNavy.com : leave them a little note. We are driving them nuts over at BBR. Over the weekend, their site would go into an infinite loop if you used Safari to load it.

gap.com : Windroids are cheap labor apparently.

Any time you see "MAC" in all caps in the description of support for browsers, ignore any advice it gives - it was written by a Windows-only guy.

Use Safari's Debug menu to change its User Agent. A lot of these "We don't support MAC's" (sic) sites are just using a browser check and you can bypass it with the Debug menu.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Karl Kuehn

No one knows if the Intel based Macs will be able to boot Windows; this is highly dependent on what winds up in place of BIOS/OpenFirmware. Since no-one (outside of Apple's inner circle at least) knows what this will be, no one can say for certain. Apple has already stated that they will not do any work at all to make it compatible, but are not going to waste the time to make it specifically incompatible. The chips will fall where they may on that one.

Now there most likely will be third-party emulators/compatibility environments, but it is still a bit early to state them as certainties.

Apple has already stated that its Intel-based Macs would boot Windows, albeit without Apple's support. Exactly where does all of this uncertainty come from?
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

Apple has already stated that its Intel-based Macs would boot Windows, albeit without Apple's support. Exactly where does all of this uncertainty come from?

No, they have not.

Your certainty is misplaced.

They said that they will not do anything to prevent people from booting Windows on the development boxes. That combined with the fact that Windows does boot on the development fine has lead people to bad conclusions. Please provide a link to where you have seen Apple say that Windows will boot on the final hardware.

I can certainly find the quote that was made from WWDC that Apple had no interest in prohibiting people from booting Windows on the development boxes if they so chose, which was followed up by the blank statement that they would be actively preventing people from running MacOS X on non-Apple boxes. A lot of people misunderstood this as a statement about the final hardware, and took the double negative to indicate that it would work. That is not what he said.

Apple has been very clear that they development hardware is not representative of the final shipping hardware at the driver level. They have specifically stated that it is not really useful as a guide at that level, and that everything there is subject to change.

And you have not even attempted to say anything about the BIOS/OpenFirmware replacement... without Windows being redesigned with that in mind it simply would have no chance of booting, and Apple is not going to settle for BIOS, that is certain (difficult to boot off of external media, nasty rules on partitions, horrible support for netboot, etc).
  • Reply 7 of 13
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    About booting Windows on an Intel Macintosh, it is exactly how Karl said. Apple (it was Schiller precisely) said they won't do anything specific to prevent users from running Windows on theirs Macs. Here is the exact statement. I am sure you can find it elsewhere too.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

About booting Windows on an Intel Macintosh, it is exactly how Karl said. Apple (it was Schiller precisely) said they won't do anything specific to prevent users from running Windows on theirs Macs. Here is the exact statement. I am sure you can find it elsewhere too.

No, that is not the exact quote. The link is to a discussion about the issue. The exact quote can be found in this June 6, 2005 news.com article:

Quote:

After Jobs' presentation, Apple Senior Vice President Phil Schiller addressed the issue of running Windows on Macs, saying there are no plans to sell or support Windows on an Intel-based Mac. "That doesn't preclude someone from running it on a Mac. They probably will," he said. "We won't do anything to preclude that."

Schiller stated explicitly that Apple will not do anything to preclude Mac users from running Windows on Intel-based Macs. If Apple won't, then who will?
  • Reply 9 of 13
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    There's no reason they should prevent it, and even reasons they should strive to support it. If their box can run Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X, people will be more likely to buy it when balancing it against a PC "that they still have a bunch of apps/games for".
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Nah, you don't pay that much extra to run windows, you pay it, so you don't have to. Let microsoft do what they do best, screw things up, and slowly people will realize what's best for them, at least that's what hapeend to me.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    I have to use VPC & 2000 Pro in order to demo a small proprietary app. I kept 2000 open on the internet (behind a company firewall) in order to register it and get the updates needed to add the Additions. Then I disabled the internet connection.

The reason why I moved to Macs was to avoid the malware problems - I think allowing a dual boot is insane unless you are a Windows geek. Keep it as isolated as possible.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    It's one thing what they say, and one thing what they do.

I'm not saying they would outright lie, but if you think they are as carefree on the subject of dualbooting Windows as the image they project says... hehehe. 8)

Whether you can or cannot boot to Windows on the final product, they will have considered the advantages and disadvantages of letting you do that. There will have been teams of people sitting in meeting rooms for days. There will have been sleepless nights. Rest assured of that. Just like the "screen spanning hack". Everyone who believes that in five years Apple has not heard of that one, and it's accidentally still working, raise your hands please. Allowing or disallowing boot to Windows is, I dunno, an order of magnitude more important decision?

I for one would dualboot the second I had a chance. Windows for a couple of key games that don't exist on OS X. OS X for everything else. That doesn't take a "Windows geek". I'd love to be able to access everything straight from OS X. The sad fact is I can't.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    fngfng Posts: 222member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kenaustus

I have to use VPC & 2000 Pro in order to demo a small proprietary app. I kept 2000 open on the internet (behind a company firewall) in order to register it and get the updates needed to add the Additions. Then I disabled the internet connection.

The reason why I moved to Macs was to avoid the malware problems - I think allowing a dual boot is insane unless you are a Windows geek. Keep it as isolated as possible.

Maybe you could dual boot, shut down the internets for Windows and use Mac OS X to access the internets for surfing and upload/download?