File transfer mac->iPod->PC?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Any problem in that? Macs and Windows use two different file systems but will it cause a problem to make such a transfer?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    I transfer files with my shuffle btw my PC and Mac. No prob.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    In my experience, trying to transfer files from a Mac formatted 4th Gen 20GB iPod to a Windows machine results in the PC asking to reformat my iPod to NTFS. It appears this may differ with flash based iPods...
  • Reply 3 of 9
    If you install the HFS (or HFS+) driver in Windows, available through MacDisk, you will be able to read/write to HFS formatted HDs, CDs or any other media that you have, including iPod.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Thanks all. Its a iPod colour. Macdisk a bit steep price for a one time transfer...

Can I format the iPod from the mac so it can be read by the PC?
  • Reply 5 of 9
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    If it's just one time, I think a Windows formatted iPod will work with both systems. You can use Disk Utility to format it to MS-DOS format (although Disk Utility is not clear wether that's FAT or FAT32) and XP will read it.

It will still ask you to format it to NTFS as a better filesystem, but you can safely ignore that.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    fngfng Posts: 222member
    That's what I'm doing to my Nano right now. I used Disk Utility to reformat the iPod and then use iTunes to reupdate everything. It's a pain in the ass but I do want to use the iPod a flash drive so I have ta.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    yeah i have the same problem. I have a 3G iPod 15gig and I have some files on my friend's PC buy I have a PB. Should I reformat in his PC then copy files over to my ipod and my PB could read it? I'm still confused.

-PBrules
  • Reply 8 of 9
    fngfng Posts: 222member
    You can use disk util' on the Mac to format it to DOS and then use the iPod updater (also in the utilities folder) to restore the software on the iPod.

I set my iPod back to a Mac OS format and decided to get my work to pay for a flash drive that i need. Any iPod that needs a dongle for a USB connection does not make a good flash drive.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    jedhajedha Posts: 24member
    There should be a better way to exchange file thru the iPod.. you shouldn't have to format.