10.5 "Leopard"

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
what do people think (hope?) are the new features of 10.5 due out possibly as soon as this time next year. This is apple's attempt at knocking down Windows Vista's fanfare. I can not believe this will be an incremental upgrade.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 83
    Although a bump from 10.4 to 10.5 might sound like an incremental upgrade, past OSX 10.x releases have proven otherwise (ie. the addition of dashboard).

I don't expect 10.5 to be released without new features. I'm not sure what else I'd like to see in the OS, though, other than small refinements to the current applications.
  • Reply 2 of 83
    I'd hope for resolution independence with the next version, especially if tomorrow yields higher resolution PowerBooks. I'm not sure on how marketable this feature would be, although showing a high res screen with small buttons and then cranking the handle to make the buttons bigger. At the same time they could reinvent the UI, make everything into one (or at a push two) interface designs, at the moment I can count 5 different window borders Apple are currently using for applications.
  • Reply 3 of 83
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    I'd like to see.

Rez Independence- echoing Daniels points above.

Media Center apps built in- PVR, Front Row, Tuner support

Quartz2d Extreme enabled and FAST.

Major Finder improvements

Free .mac for 90 days

Core3D- a new 3D API based on OpenGL 2.0 but a "lite" version with Mac specific tweaks.

Quartz Extreme- improvements.
  • Reply 4 of 83
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    i have decided that i won't buy another upgrade until the finder is totally revamped. anyone with me?
  • Reply 5 of 83
    bigbluebigblue Posts: 341member
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

i have decided that i won't buy another upgrade until the finder is totally revamped. anyone with me?

I agree for a total revamp (Cocoatised, better multitasked, quirksfree).

More control over fontsize and matrix of files/folders. More and customisable labelcolors + ability to add an small icon at the filenama (exlamation, questionmark, skull, ... whatever).

Not everything can be done with Spotlight because not everything is done search-wise. Visual organisation of files and folders are (to me) even more important. I know many people agree with me, especially in the creative sector.

Anyone else have some (file) 'organisational' idea's ?
  • Reply 6 of 83
    kentokento Posts: 13member
    How about apple forget about features and REALLY make the OS more efficient. Don't get me wrong, Mac OS is great and typically every release is somewhat faster than the previous, but no OS is perfect. Recent tests by Anandtech

http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2520

http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2436

for example, show how rivials (linux) have more streamlined kernals in certain situations.

A good comparison is OPENGL. Doom3 showed just how far behind the Mac is to the PC. OpenGL performance is important for more than just games.

Maybe apple should just have a blast at removing bottlenecks in there code.

I mean spinning beach ball with Safari? why is that! Its not so common with firefox.
  • Reply 7 of 83
    Quote:

Originally posted by kento

I mean spinning beach ball with Safari? why is that! Its not so common with firefox.

i can't believe how many spinning beach balls i get! in finder, in safari, all the time! (but still my 1ghz ibook g4 is clearly normal). So, uh, yeah, fix that.
  • Reply 8 of 83
    Quote:

i can't believe how many spinning beach balls i get! in finder, in safari, all the time! (but still my 1ghz ibook g4 is clearly normal). So, uh, yeah, fix that.

i want .net for mac os x
  • Reply 9 of 83
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hdcool

i want .net for mac os x

You're late.
  • Reply 10 of 83
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Piles and other metadata viewing options, a redone Finder, and perhaps a good built-in Paint-like image utility.
  • Reply 11 of 83
    1. Resolution Independence

2. Object management and garbage collection for Cocoa

3. WebObjects moving back to Objective-C

A. WebObjects using the Cocoa foundation frameworks

B. WebObjects getting some of cool new stuff from Cocoa

like bindings

C. Further development of CoreData to replace the EO

frameworks. Webobjects apps would have the ability to

either use a SQLite datafile, or a full fledged

database

4. 3D kit, a high level Cocoa framework for working in 3D

with OpenGL 2.0 at the core

5. A new Cocoa based finder

6. More of the "Pro" apps using Coca and Objective-C

7. Spotlight able to work over the network on server shares

8. Kernel improvements now that the KPIs are published

9. Further work with UTIs allowing the system to add and

strip filename extensions on receiving and sending files.

10. More advanced searching and metadata handling in spotlight
  • Reply 12 of 83
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I want Cocoa runtime for Windows, so I can truly write an app once and have it run on both platforms. The migration to intel means we're halfway there.
  • Reply 13 of 83
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr Beardsley

1. Resolution Independence

2. Object management and garbage collection for Cocoa

3. WebObjects moving back to Objective-C

A. WebObjects using the Cocoa foundation frameworks

B. WebObjects getting some of cool new stuff from Cocoa

like bindings

C. Further development of CoreData to replace the EO

frameworks. Webobjects apps would have the ability to

either use a SQLite datafile, or a full fledged

database

4. 3D kit, a high level Cocoa framework for working in 3D

with OpenGL 2.0 at the core

5. A new Cocoa based finder

6. More of the "Pro" apps using Coca and Objective-C

7. Spotlight able to work over the network on server shares

8. Kernel improvements now that the KPIs are published

9. Further work with UTIs allowing the system to add and

strip filename extensions on receiving and sending files.

10. More advanced searching and metadata handling in spotlight

1. Can you say OS X GUI on a 10ft screen!

2. Over my head...sounds cool

3. The Java thing hasn't seemed to catch on. Love to see Core Data get majorly beefed up.

4. 3D should be relatively easy to add to programs. I don't think people need to world but a good well rounded kit would do wonders. Hey lets use our 3d cards for more than just games.

5. Lordy...please.

6. And how about a better Apple Desktop Remote.

7. God how could I forget this one. Must have

8. Performance results would indicate kernel improvements much needed.

9. Yes indeed

10. Search is my life.

My next desire is built in world class speech dictation. Buy it...license it do whatever. Get it in the OS and prepare for the day when portables have enough juice to handle it. Don't miss the boat.
  • Reply 14 of 83
    kaiwaikaiwai Posts: 246member
    Quote:

Well, that is strange, I have never experienced a spinning beach ball; sure I have the wirling rainbow business, but I wait a few seconds, and everything is back to normal - this is on both a 600Mhz iBook (the one with 16 MB of video memory) and an iMac G5.

Before reloading/force quiting, how about waiting a few seconds to see whether its simply the application/operating system that is busy.
  • Reply 15 of 83
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    i'd like to see:

By default have the "Applications" folder shortcut on the Dock (you have NO idea how many people I know that dont even KNOW there are other apps outside of the ones on the Dock)

Have the Desktop by default with "Snap to Grid" and "Show Icon Preview"

and, first and foremost.. *ahem* let me clear my throat:

EASY FILE SHARING A LA WINDOWS ("share this folder.. create guest user.. voila'")

It drives me absolutely fvcking INSANE that we don't have something that Apple ORIGINALLY CREATED all the way back with System 6!!

Oh... I'd love to see VLC player pre-installed too
  • Reply 16 of 83
    "I'd like to see.

Rez Independence- echoing Daniels points above.

Media Center apps built in- PVR, Front Row, Tuner support

Quartz2d Extreme enabled and FAST.

Major Finder improvements

Free .mac for 90 days

Core3D- a new 3D API based on OpenGL 2.0 but a "lite" version with Mac specific tweaks.

Quartz Extreme- improvements."

Best post I've seen from you. Elegant and to the point.

I really like the point about Core 3D api. This is sorely missing from Apple's Broadcast strategy.

Personally, if they could buy up Newtek (Lightwave dominating broadcast 3D on tv? And it's being extensively re-written...etc) and get Open GL 2 of the ground...and have a Core 3D that even remotely covers the gasp-inducing brilliance of Core Image/Video etc...then I'd be seriously impressed.

Not to mention game development could be re-juiced.

I agree, the finder needs more work from what I've seen. It's good. But it could be excellent. With Dashboard etc...Apple have shown they have the talent to do it.

I'd like to see an interface overhaul too. Each bit looks professional. But it doesn't seem to quite gell yet.... I liked the old elegant Spatial Finder myself. With the pop-up tabs and spring loaded folders. I thought 'Platinum' was just great. At least have it as an option.

I'd also like interface sounds back. As an option. I miss the ticks and whirrs...

As for Res' Ind'. Yes.

And how about some cutting edge displays with 200dpi instead of 100?

I'd also like to see some more work on the dock. It's been a little forgotten of late. Look at expose and dashboard.

There is plenty that could be done with the dock and the Finder. C+. could do better. More 'teh snappy'. Maybe even interface themes. Like iPod. iPod black. Platinum. Aqua. Just a few...

For Leopard? I think Apple will release a barn stormer to blow Vista out the water. Just as Vista tries to draw level...KA-POW!

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 17 of 83
    Quote:

Originally posted by kaiwai

Well, that is strange, I have never experienced a spinning beach ball; sure I have the wirling rainbow business, but I wait a few seconds, and everything is back to normal - this is on both a 600Mhz iBook (the one with 16 MB of video memory) and an iMac G5.

Before reloading/force quiting, how about waiting a few seconds to see whether its simply the application/operating system that is busy.

I never said that I don't wait. I wait. What surprises me is that the spinning beach ball is there during mundane tasks even on the fastest Macs around. It just seems like there is a fundamental flaw if that is happening.
  • Reply 18 of 83
    I'd take really efficient threading to make use of those 16 core intels on their way, oh and how about no finder crashes when previewing 'unusually-aquired' .avi files
  • Reply 19 of 83
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

I call the spinning beach ball, the spectral wheel. I wonder if the people who create this stuff did not read some books written by Zelazny ?
  • Reply 20 of 83
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Resolution independence is inevitable; it might even be present in the new Powerbooks as a silent addition, since the screen density is so high it would be insane otherwise.

Easy Windows-style Shared Folders and the like sound awesome; it sucks having to drag things into the /Home/Shared folder.