"It's not my fault you like crap music."

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
The wife and I have friends that live in our apartment complex that comes over once a week (or we go to their place). We play games, drink wine and chat. Married couple stuff.

Well the husband finds out I like music. So, he's asking me what kind of stuff I like and he offers to give me some stuff to listen to. Fantastic, I tell him I'll do the same (we listen to my collection when they're at our place) and completely forget about it because I'm thinking it's just one of those things you say and never do.

Lo and behold a week later he's coming to game night with 3 CDs full of mp3s. After apologizing for not having my own CDs to offer him, I start moving the stuff into my iTunes library to mix in with my music for the festivities.

And holy crap does this music suck. I'm not going to say what it is specifically because I don't want to hurt someone's feelings, but it's like some stupid 18-year-olds decided to write "clever" lyrics and play crappy emo punk music. And I've now got ~1.8GB of it. Entire discographies of bands I don't even want 1 song from.

So the night goes fine. The new stuff mixes in with my stuff and I only have to flinch a couple of times, always able to play it off as a bad draw in Bohnanza or a tough letter combination in Quiddler.

The night ends. Fun is had by all (they are wonderful people). So now I have a dilemma. I do not want to hear this music ever again in my life. I don't need the whiny voices and terrible lyrics and shoddy music. So what does a man do?

I decide to just remove it from my iTunes library but leave it on my hard drive. Easy enough, sort by date added and bingo, all gone.

Life goes on as normal until the husband's hard drive dies. He knows I keep all of my stuff backed up on an external hard drive so he asks to borrow it (as I have offered in the past) for a while.

Well, it turns out that when I removed the songs from my library I clicked "move to recycle bin" because when he copied everything over to his new hard drive he got nothing but empty folders for all the bands he gave me.

He brings the hard drive back to me and says, clueless and off-hand, "Weirdest thing. A lot of those bands in your mp3 folder had empty folders. You might want to check your internal hard drive."

I say, "Oh." and apparently something within that one syllable made it all click in his mind. I could see the wheels turning as he put it all in place:

"... iTunes leaves the folder structure in tact when you delete from within iTunes... all those bands happen to be the ones I gave him..."

So here I am standing with the external HD in my hands frozen, not knowing how the hell I'm going to possible explain this away.

He knows. I know. He knows I know. Gracefully he thanks me for the hard drive and tries to make small talk about something else, which I latch on to like a pit bull, quickly putting the external hard drive away. We chat for another couple of minutes and he leaves.

I felt so guilty for erasing crappy music from my computer. But really, it's not my fault he likes crap music!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    Come on ... just tell us what bands they were.

Best quote by an emo band: "We all have our own styles ... They are very different, but work together to make some sort of super emo band. We can actually project our tears like bullets."

Now that's some fierce emo. heh.
  • Reply 2 of 45
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    What's emo?
  • Reply 3 of 45
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Is it that hard to say, "Oh yeah, sorry, I forgot I actually had deleted those"?

I can understand it being one of those things where it becomes harder to say the longer the silence continues, because a longer pause brings it more significance. But if you just say it, there's nothing in it. It's not like having a differing taste in music is a personal insult, is it?
  • Reply 4 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

What's emo?

Wikipedia
  • Reply 5 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

Wikipedia

Back in the old days we called this crap rock.
  • Reply 6 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

Back in the old days we called this crap rock.

Still do.

They just added crying.
  • Reply 7 of 45
    groverat, I would have told him that you deleted them off your hard drive because you were afraid of being caught with illegally downloaded music. He would have thought you were a pussy but you would have spared his feelings and for an 'emo' listener that may have been a good thing. However, he may have BOUGHT you some actual CDs of that crap-rock. But now he knows where you stand. Damned if you do/don't.

Riddle me this: have you hung out with that couple since then?
  • Reply 8 of 45
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    Just be honest. It's burns like hell in the buildup and delivery -- but in the end you'll both know where you stand, and (should) respect each other even more for saying so. -Not "your music is crap" but, "I just can't relate..." or "I think they don't have any direction..." bla, bla, bla. Also, be careful, I once had a true Jazz devotee, give me a Chick Corea album that, at the time I loathed -- I told him that I couldn't deal with it, (nothing on it sounded like Led Zeppelin, 'doncha know) -- but now I look back and hang my head in shame.

Anyway, point being, you may have the better taste than your friend now (although that will change over time) but the best thing is to be honest, an explain why, but in the end, be gracious.

In the end, the only thing that lasts are the hard feelings.
  • Reply 9 of 45
    tomjtomj Posts: 120member
    you could tell him what happened, for the most part. You separated his music from yours for selective assimilation at a later date, but in the process, you accidently deleted it all. If he gave you that much music, there surely is some that you wouldn't mind having, so really, it's not a lie, and you didn't mean to delete it all so that's not a lie either....but who knows.
  • Reply 10 of 45
    "Dude, the RIAA came to my house and raided my computer. They deleted all the stuff I didn't have a CD for. Damn I was pissed. Ah well."

And remember, honesty is responsible for 85% of all divorces. And 90% of statistics are made up on the spot.
  • Reply 11 of 45
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    What did you do with the CDs he originally gave you?
  • Reply 12 of 45
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    If it's crappy emo music I'm guessing he had some fun at the shotgun range.
  • Reply 13 of 45
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Yes we have hung out since, everything is fine on that end, it's just a little weird that I literally disliked every single band he very kindly gave me.

After he copied all he wanted off my hard drive he made kind of a point to say he didn't take a whole lot, so I think we're even.

Quote:

What did you do with the CDs he originally gave you?

They sit in the cabinet above my monitor. Beating loudly like the tell-tale heart.
  • Reply 14 of 45
    I feel like I am watching an episode of Seinfeld.
  • Reply 15 of 45
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    "This is hard for me to say, but your music sucks and it means you have an ugly soul. Nothing personal."
  • Reply 16 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

We play games........Married couple stuff.

Kinkier than I ever suspected, grover.
  • Reply 17 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by duzledwarf

I feel like I am watching an episode of Seinfeld.

Only with more kinky 'Married Couple Stuff'.
  • Reply 18 of 45
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    i'm sure you'll get drunk with him sometime and spill the beans about how his music sucks. i can't imagine that he would care too much, unless he doesn't have a whole lot else going on in his life.
  • Reply 19 of 45
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Tell you what. I'll come over and destroy the CDs. Then I'll go over to your friend's house and destroy all the suck music on his computer. I'll take a sharpie and draw on his bad CDs. If he has any bad music on tape or vinyl, I'll break the tapes and scratch the vinyl.

See, people? SEE?? This is what happens when we democratize taste!
  • Reply 20 of 45
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

Tell you what. I'll come over and destroy the CDs. Then I'll go over to your friend's house and destroy all the suck music on his computer. I'll take a sharpie and draw on his bad CDs. If he has any bad music on tape or vinyl, I'll break the tapes and scratch the vinyl.

See, people? SEE?? This is what happens when we democratize taste!

Sharpie? Who are you?

You need to use a lighter to warp the CD, or scratch the silver film off.