Apple introduces Aperture

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple today introduced Aperture, the first all-in-one post production tool that provides everything photographers need immediately after a photo shoot.

Aperture offers an advanced and fast RAW workflow that makes working with a camera's RAW images as easy as JPEG. Built from the ground up for pros, Aperture features powerful compare and select tools, nondestructive image processing, color managed printing and custom web and book publishing.

"Aperture is to professional photography what Final Cut Pro is to filmmaking," said Rob Schoeben, Apple's vice president of Applications Marketing. "Finally, an innovative post production tool that revolutionizes the pro photo workflow from compare and select to retouching to output."

"Until now, RAW files have taken so long to work with," said Heinz Kluetmeier, renowned sports photographer whose credits include over 100 Sports Illustrated covers. "What amazed me about Aperture is that you can work directly with RAW files, you can loupe and stack them and it's almost instantaneous -- I suspect that I'm going to stop shooting JPEGs. Aperture just blew me away."

Unique compare and select tools in Aperture allow photographers to easily sift through massive photo projects and quickly identify their final selections. Aperture is also the first application that automatically groups sequences of photos into easy-to-manage Stacks based on the time interval between exposures.

In an industry first, Aperture allows photographers to navigate through entire projects in a full-screen workspace that can be extended to span multiple displays, tiling multiple images side-by-side for a faster, easier compare and select. With Aperture's Loupe magnifying tool, portions of images can be examined in fine detail without having to zoom and pan across large files. In addition, a virtual Light Table provides the ideal canvas for building simple photo layouts, allowing them to be arranged, resized and piled together in a free-form space.

RAW images are maintained natively throughout Aperture without any intermediate conversion process, and can be retouched with stunning results using a suite of adjustment tools designed especially for photographers. Aperture's nondestructive image processing engine never alters a single pixel of original photos so photographers have the power and flexibility to modify or delete changes at any point in the workflow.

As Aperture allows users to create multiple versions of a single image without duplicating files, photographers can experiment without risk of overwriting the master image or using up large amounts of hard drive space. Aperture images can also be launched directly into Adobe Photoshop for compositing and layer effects.

Aperture features a complete color-managed pipeline with support for device specific ColorSync profiles and a set of high-quality output tools for photographers to showcase their work. Print options include customizable contact sheets, high-quality local printing and color-managed online prints.

The new photo software comes wrapped in a deceptively simple layout environment where photographers can quickly create and order custom professional-caliber books and publish stunning web galleries. The software also makes it easy to back up an entire library of images with a single click and streamline complex workflows with AppleScript and Automator actions.

Pricing & Availability

Aperture will be available in November through the Apple Store, Apple's retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers for a suggested retail price of $500. Full system requirements and more information on Aperture can be found at Apple's Aperture website.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 537
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Not surprisingly, the minimal hardware specifications require a CoreImage-compatible GFX chip. Aperture imho is the stick in Apple's carrot-and-stick strategy to move Adobe towards using Core* in its products.

The recommended system specs are mind-boggling, though:

- Dual 2GHz Power Mac G5 or faster

- 2GB of RAM

- One of the following graphics cards:

* ATI Radeon X800 XT Mac Edition

* ATI Radeon 9800 XT or 9800 Pro

* NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL or 6800 GT DDL

* NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT

* NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500
  • Reply 2 of 537
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    How does Apeture compare to Photoshop?
  • Reply 3 of 537
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnJ

I really don't know what to make of it. I went on the site and read all of the info, and still don't know what to make of it.

But $500 seems a bit high for what it looks to be doing.

It is far more a management tool with some fairly limited photo editing tools. Some of the features seem to be on the amaturish side, such as book printing, and ordering prints online. Who is that for?

When I'm at the show tomorrow I'll spend some time with it if I can push through the crowds.
  • Reply 4 of 537
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Not a Photoshop competitor. Something different. Good!

Now... how about a Core Image-accelerated Photoshop?
  • Reply 5 of 537
    Quote:

Originally posted by nagromme

Not a Photoshop competitor. Something different. Good!

Now... how about a Core Image-accelerated Photoshop?

We have to see if core image can really offer Adobe something they need and can't do any other way.

Don't forget that whatever the OS can do Adobe can most likely do as well. Apple just puts it in one place for everyone.
  • Reply 6 of 537
    I learned more from the Quick Tours at Apple than from reading the site.

It really looks like advanced iPhoto. The editing tools are much like iPhoto, but more advanced and they do have some cloning/repair tools. If that is all you need then your ok w/o Photoshop, but you will want photoshop for layers, filters and other advanced functions.

I liked the improved output for printing books. Hope to see that migrate to iPhoto sooner rather than later.
  • Reply 7 of 537
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    http://www.expressdigital.com/produc...PEdarkroom.htm

Windows program for 2.5x more than Aperture.

I think Apple has a winner here. This isn't iPhoto on steroids. It's not about just management and keywording. It's about a Photographer shooting hundreds of pictures and then starting the sometimes arduous task of pushing the pictures through the pipeline and distilling down to the best shots.

Working with RAW pictures is processor intensive and will only become more intensive as the megapixels of DSLR continue to increase. Thanks to Core Image and fast computers a Photographer can now process batches of photos and create a workflow that increases their efficiency. Kudos to Apple for moving into this area.
  • Reply 8 of 537
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

I learned more from the Quick Tours at Apple than from reading the site.

I wish that were a mandatory prerequisite to posting here.

With every Apple product announcement people ask questions that already have answers on Apple's site.
  • Reply 9 of 537
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

With easily more than 2.5x less impressive product info than for Aperture.
  • Reply 10 of 537
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

I think Apple has a winner here. This isn't iPhoto on steroids. It's not about just management and keywording. It's about a Photographer shooting hundreds of pictures and then starting the sometimes arduous task of pushing the pictures through the pipeline and distilling down to the best shots.

Working with RAW pictures is processor intensive and will only become more intensive as the megapixels of DSLR continue to increase. Thanks to Core Image and fast computers a Photographer can now process batches of photos and create a workflow that increases their efficiency. Kudos to Apple for moving into this area.

I'm familiar with that program from my lab days. It is of a kind to Apple's new program. I don't know how more useful Apple's program will be than this one. Perhaps the price difference will help. This was sold to a fairly limited number of customers. But for a digital mini-lab it served a purpose because you can do different set-ups and send them to the machine over the network.

If Aperture can do that as well then that will help.

Insofar as the RAW converters goes, this is nothing new. Adobe's new update to their RAW converter allows such batches to be rendered out as well. As does Canon's pro program that comes with their cameras, and Nikon as well.
  • Reply 11 of 537
    A quick scan of the Specs page for Aperture shows that it's only "One click to edit in Photoshop". And then that Aperture can manage your Photoshop variations.

The way I think of Photoshop and Aperture is that Photoshop is for creating a lie, and Aperture is for correcting things with the image, not with the subjects.

Apple clearly has a strong basis for a Photoshop killer though. This is impressive stuff. And it's an Apple app, so I'd bet that a few plug-ins and this would have everything necessary to kill PS. I'd agree that this is Apple's warning shot to Adobe, that they can take another market from them.

Only one question remains: how does it run on Intel?

[edit] The point of the RAW is that it does all of this in near-real time from the original RAW image, non-destructively.
  • Reply 12 of 537
    Quote:

Originally posted by macserverX

A quick scan of the Specs page for Aperture shows that it's only "One click to edit in Photoshop". And then that Aperture can manage your Photoshop variations.

The way I think of Photoshop and Aperture is that Photoshop is for creating a lie, and Aperture is for correcting things with the image, not with the subjects.

Apple clearly has a strong basis for a Photoshop killer though. This is impressive stuff. And it's an Apple app, so I'd bet that a few plug-ins and this would have everything necessary to kill PS. I'd agree that this is Apple's warning shot to Adobe, that they can take another market from them.

Only one question remains: how does it run on Intel?

Creating a lie vs. correcting images? What the hell does that kind of judgemental nonsense mean?

Apple =good. Adobe=bad?

This app isn't even in the same league as Adobe Expression much less PS. You'll bet that a few plug-ins will equalize the two? Obviously you have never used PS. And don't say that you're a pro and use it every day, because your comments show that you're not.
  • Reply 13 of 537
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Fantastic application. Home run. I wish I could justify buying it. The latest iteration of the Apple 'pro' user interface looks very nice as well.
  • Reply 14 of 537
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    This maybe exacly what I need. I agree its not a replacment for Photoshop but an accompaniment. There certianly is some over lap though in photo manipulation tools. But there doesn't seem to be any of Photoshop's most advanced features.

I have more photo managment needs than most of Photoshop's advanced features, which I imagine I don't use 80% of.

I do motion film and take digital still pictures of my set ups, and add some simple color manipulation as references for color timing. So I don't really need Photoshop's layers and filters.

I have another program called 3CP which actually works in film and video RGB color space, while Photoshop is primarly for graphics.

Watching the Quicktime tour what I'm really impressed with is the user interface. Which I've never really been a fan of Photoshops user interface. I always felt like I had to go through too many pull down and sub menus to use the tools I use most.

Aperture has what I use most out front in an interactive graphic. Most namely histogram and three color wheels.

I also really like the magnifying loop tool for image manipulation. I have to play with it but I think that will be easier for me to use.
  • Reply 15 of 537
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Creating a lie vs. correcting images? What the hell does that kind of judgemental nonsense mean?

Apple =good. Adobe=bad?

I believe he is saying that Photoshop excels at photo illustration -- creating new work out of a photo. While Aperture is just about making the best photograph out of a raw file. I don't think it was meant as a value judgement.

While Adobe's RAW tool is nice, it is nowhere near as comprehensive as what Aperture claims to do. And Canon's software is a joke.
  • Reply 16 of 537
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Apple =good. Adobe=bad?

This app isn't even in the same league as Adobe Expression much less PS. You'll bet that a few plug-ins will equalize the two? Obviously you have never used PS. And don't say that you're a pro and use it every day, because your comments show that you're not.

That's not what he meant to say (as I understood it) - Adobe's photoshop allows you to change, add and subtract from an image changing the nature of the image.

Apple's program is designed to manage hundreds or even thousands of shots and workflow and adjust them.

His comment has nothing to do with the characteristics of the corporations that build the software.
  • Reply 17 of 537
    I know what PS does, I've been using it since 1990.

It's the absurd way of putting it that I object to. He can speak for himself on this. He could have been more succinct if he meant to be. I'm not so sure he did. Even if he says so now.

Anything that alters a picture can be considered a lie, even the minimal ones Aperture does.
  • Reply 18 of 537
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnJ

You know what I like in Aperture, just initial impressions? That it's JUST TRYING TO BE A PHOTO APP. and a kickass one at that. Let's face it, Photoshop is still a photo app, but I am a pretty advanced user, and I can say that it's trying to be its own super-duper-uber-do-everything-you-can-think-of graphics app. which is great, but i have to wonder what photo profesionals think of the app, and how it's just kinda spread into all of these different areas that photographers never wanted/asked for...

it's like apple went, "hey, what if we took the concept of photoshop, and stripped away all of the non-photo-related stuff, and worked fromt he ground up for professionals," so instead of raw support being grafted on as a plug-in and via adobe bridge, apple doesn't even act like there's anything else. raw is it. if you love raw images, they want you to love aperture.

simply put, though, you cannot remove photoshop from your toolbox. it's like motion versus after effects. you can do some crazy cool fast compositing in motion, but it can't hold a candle to the complexities after effects can manage... yet.
  • Reply 19 of 537
    macflymacfly Posts: 256member
    i have to disagree with the idea that this is not just a souped up iphoto. its basically like photoshop's bridge. it appears to be a management/workflow app that lets you organize and prune shots quickly. but what does it let you do in terms of image editing? iphoto allows for the basic elements like saturation, tints, sharpness blah blah. what can this do that iphoto cant?

and what kind of crappy documentation is that on apple's web site? surely doesnt make me want to run out and grab it.

obviously if one already has photoshop this wont add much. i guess if you dont, would you really spend $500 for this when you can get photoshop /bridge and be able to do it all?

please correct me if i am wrong but im just not seeing much to make this so compelling....
  • Reply 20 of 537
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I just finished the last of the. I think it's pretty nifty but I'm not in the target market. It does appear to be a heavily upgraded iPhoto.

I think the photo "versioning" system is a stroke of genius, where you modify an image, the program only stores the changes while retaining the original photo as it was shot, and it also allows multiple image versions, so it gets you the most flexibility, highest quality and still not needelssly waste space with multiple full images.