Apple reduces Cinema Display pricing

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Along with the introduction of new PowerBooks and Power Macs on Wednesday, Apple reduced pricing on its Cinema Display line, lowering the cost of the 23-inch model by $200 and the 30-inch version by $500. The 23-inch model now costs $1300 and sports a native resolution of 1920 x 1200. The 30-inch display -- which requires an ATI Radeon 9650, Radeon X850 XT or NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT DDL Card -- now sells for $2500. The 30-inch model has a resolution of 2560 x 1600. No changes were made to the company's 20-inch display, which sells for $800 and offers a 1680 x 1050 optimal resolution. All three displays are VESA mount compatible and feature 2 USB ports and 2 FireWire 400 ports.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    Not the price cuts I was hoping for. I wanted steeper...but it will do. 30 inch. Come to me...
  • Reply 2 of 21
    I've always wondered why laptop display densities are on the rise, but these desktop monitors maintain the same density?

Density = pixels per unit length.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    Be extra careful on that 30" display.

There's a bad production run with some serious problems

caused by some faulty component that is rapidly becoming a known

issue on the 30"

I was really surprised to hear about this on Macrumors where

a member had to return 2 of them recently before he found a good one.

I knew the 23"s were having problems, but this was the first I had heard of bad 30"s.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    What is the latest on the 23" display? When they first came out the pink cast was a real problem, all I had to do was go into an Apple store and look around to be convinced. I haven't gone in a store for some time but may be inclined to purchase a display in the next few months. I would love to hear from people with recent experience.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    buckeyebuckeye Posts: 358member
    I just picked up one of the 23s for $1099 on the refurbished store. I finally felt like it was a decent enough price point to get in on one. ALthough, I was a little worried when I found out that Displays are not eligible for Applecare.

I'll be sure to post with any negative experiences.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    garypgaryp Posts: 150member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FallenFromTheTree

issue on the 30"

I knew the 23"s were having problems, but this was the first I had heard of bad 30"s.

What problems? I haven't heard about any problems with the 30" display.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    It's some defective component in the last production run that's causing

uneven shading and bright pixels all over the screen.

Sorry I can't remember exactly what they said it was, a switch I think.

Edit: found it

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...0&postcount=16
  • Reply 8 of 21
    trowatrowa Posts: 176member
    How are the cinema displays in terms of games. I'm a bit perplexed with the ACD's tech spec's of 16ms response time on Apple's website.

Anyone having any issues with ghosting?

Does the picture quality look decent when playing games on lower resolutions? Even the newer Nvidia PCIe cards will have a hell of a time playing games at the native resolutions.

With the recent price cuts, I have seriously been looking at purchasing an ACD. recently been deciding between the 23" ACD or Dell's 2405fpw (ack!).

Mostly I will be doing motion graphics, 3D animation/modeling and would like to play some FPS games once in a while (ie UT2004 and RTCW).

Just looking for best of both worlds and most bang for the buck.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trowa

With the recent price cuts, I have seriously been looking at purchasing an ACD. recently been deciding between the 23" ACD or Dell's 2405fpw (ack!).

Got one 2405fpw here, and a friend has another. They work perfectly. Before buying I went around and saw two or three 23" ACD's on display at stores and all had the famous color problem. Open and shut case. The 23" is a really substandard display while the others by Apple are good.
    Quote:

Just looking for best of both worlds and most bang for the buck.

What are you waiting for then?

Oh, and Dells are famous for good scaling (see 2001fp/2005fpw/2405fpw reviews by gaming sites). Basically they have to be because of the assortment of inputs. I play WoW regularly at 1024x768 (from iBook... I can't seem to get the graphics card to output low res widescreens ) and it doesn't really suffer in scaling. Regular PS2 games (PS2 hooked up to component input) naturally look pretty ugly no matter how good the scaler, because you are upscaling NTSC/PAL to HD, but 480P mode, when supported in e.g. SC2 scales great.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    thanks. A shame though. The ACD looks more elegant than the Dell. Really don't want to go Dell, but their LCD's are very good.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    Is there any reason that on all the Dells under tech specs, there's this: "Compatability: PC", which would imply that it doesn't work with Macs? I've also heard stories/rumors of dells not playing well with Macs...any validity?
  • Reply 12 of 21
    baygbmbaygbm Posts: 147member
    Even with the lower price, I?m trying to find a reason to get Apple?s 23? cinema display but can?t.

Hewlett-Packard?s L2335 23? display is available for the same price. It got a much better review from MacWorld and it can rotate 90 for portrait or landscape viewing.

See the review here

http://www.macworld.com/2005/02/revi...hlcd/index.php

Apple's monitor has usb/firewire ports but the HP is much more adjustable vertically in addition to it's 90 degree rotation.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    I took a look at the new 17" Powerbook displays, and I wasn't too impressed. The brightness changed as I changed viewing angles.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by baygbm

Apple's monitor has usb/firewire ports but the HP is much more adjustable vertically in addition to it's 90 degree rotation.

Not to mention VGA, composite, SVHS and component inputs.

When I was looking for my display the HP was clearly in top two.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    As someone who just bought an apple 23inch display, I might suggest the dell. I am currently debating whether or not to send it back. It looks great, but there is a weird pinkish hue that shows up sometimes. It's most notable when the screen is black.

I have however watched HD footage on it that looks just stunning. I would assume the Dell could do the same though.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    I am also interested in how the Dell displays HD content.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    Ok. found the answer after doing some further reading. Since 1920x1200 is considered HD resolution and both the Dell and ACD's support it, the Dell can display 1080 HD content.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    I hooked up two fresh Dell 24"s tonight. I use a dell 20" wide lcd at work and it uses the same LG screen as Dell.

Just sitting here is overpowering... I'm wondering if I should send one back? My wife said to work on them awhile.... I'll end up keeping both the more I use them. I've never used this much screen, but in time I'm sure I'll use it all. It's just shocking... like standing in front of the ACD 30" in the store...drooling. For a little more than the cost of the Apple 23" I got these 2.

35% off coupon link:

http://www.barefeats.com/quick.html

Barefeats has a breakdown of the specs for apple/dell

The picture is great! I turned the brightness down on both... scorches the eyes! I'm not able to run HD sized stuff... I'm on a G4/733 for now with GForce4 MX/ATI 7000. They have tons of usb, not sure I'll use the card readers on the sides, all kinds of inputs. Sure the casing doesn't have the apple appeal... but you are purchasing for viewing the apps! I'd recommend at least one! Buckeye you should go for one... you will be happy.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by namachtag

I hooked up two fresh Dell 24"s tonight. I use a dell 20" wide lcd at work and it uses the same LG screen as Dell.

Sure the casing doesn't have the apple appeal... but you are purchasing for viewing the apps! I'd recommend at least one! Buckeye you should go for one... you will be happy.

Well the 23" ADC goes in to the apple store tomorrow to be sent back for repairs. Only had it a week or so, and the pink hue is pretty bad. The size (and look/feel) of the monitor is exactly what I need, but if it comes back with the same problem I will probably buy the Dell. I can't believe apple would sell something for this long with this kind of significant defect.

Thanks for the feedback
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by FallenFromTheTree

issue on the 30"

Right out of the box the 30" display I received was plagued with random greenish "stars" appearing here and there. This seems to be related to the monitor having time to heat up-- it usually starts after a couple of hours of being on. Put the screen to sleep for a bit and the errant pixels disappear, only to come back later.

Very frustrating. To buy the most expensive consumer monitor around and have it be a dud? Sad. More frustrating though is the reluctance I've encountered with Apple Care. The four people I've talked to won't acknowledge this problem and won't issue an RMA so that I can get my money back.

I spent hours waiting at the local Apple Store in Austin-- just to explain the problem. Then they reluctantly agreed to keep it over night for testing, to confirm my problem and possibly fix it. An hour after I'd left the mall the store called me up to say that they didn't have a computer in their shop capable of driving a monitor that large.

I feel dumped on. After happily buying five Apple computers over the last ten years my alegiance to the company is seriously bruised. If I ever am allowed to return the monitor I will be awfully shy about buying another.