SPAM question

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Apologies if this isn't the correct forum.

I would like to be educated about how I get SPAM that is not even addressed to me. I have looked at the Raw Source and my name or email address is nowhere to be found in the email. How do these things get to my account without my name or email somewhere in them? Is there some way that Spammers can force email to be sent to all accounts at @yahoo for example? The emails are always addressed to someone I don't know and never have my email address.

A little education, for this dummy, would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Doug

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Douglas Holley

Apologies if this isn't the correct forum.

I would like to be educated about how I get SPAM that is not even addressed to me. I have looked at the Raw Source and my name or email address is nowhere to be found in the email. How do these things get to my account without my name or email somewhere in them? Is there some way that Spammers can force email to be sent to all accounts at @yahoo for example? The emails are always addressed to someone I don't know and never have my email address.

A little education, for this dummy, would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Doug

The TO and FROM and REPLY TO headers can all be faked and usually are.

Did you look at all of the headers? There is a command somewhere that will reveal them in any email app.

Not that it will do you any good - yes the spammers do use automated spamming apps that will try random combinations of addresses at the major mail domains.