Possible BTO Option for 2.0 & 2.3 PMs

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Just saw on Hardmac that all the new PMs share the same motherboard. It kind of excited me as as soon as I saw the new line up of PMs I wondered why they didn't allow an option to add a second G5 chip to the 2.0s & 2.3s. BTO only, with a few in the Apple Stores.

How many people do you think would be willing to pop an extra $300 to have a dual dual in the lower ranges? I think quite a few.

Will it happen? Probably not, but it's a nice dream for those that can't pull the $3,300 for the top of the line.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    They probably didnt do this due to availability of the chips. What suprises me is that they don't have "Low-end" single core optioins given the price points of the new models.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    If we consider Apple's past records with the G5, they will certainly introduce more dual dual core in the future.

I think it's just a question of price, and chips avalaibility. I am ready to bet that in 6 months the intermediate model will be also a quad.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

If we consider Apple's past records with the G5, they will certainly introduce more dual dual core in the future.

I think it's just a question of price, and chips avalaibility. I am ready to bet that in 6 months the intermediate model will be also a quad.

I am with Powerdoc on this one. The fact that the motherboard is the same is very encouraging. It should not be long before we see more dual dual cores. Just give them some time to improve yields and take the cost down.