Hide pictures in iPhoto

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
OK, I have some risque photos in my iPhoto library and I want to password-protect them (hide them). I have a 13 year old brother whom I let use the computer for homework and stuff, and I don't want him to see them. They're works of art actually, pictures from photographers, but nothing he would need to see it.

So my question is this: is there any way I can have a group of photos in my iPhoto library not show up? I mean, I could just make a new album, put those pics there and just put a password on them, right? And if so, how do I do that?

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Yeah SERIOUSLY. This so needs to be a feature. I mean most pictures of my girl friend I don't mind showing off, but not all of them mind you...
  • Reply 2 of 7
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    To the best of my knowledge there is really know way. Keep them outta iphoto ;-) Or your best bet is to make a second account just for him, that way your iphoto isn't accessable.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    As webmail said, the most secure option is to create an additional user account. You can however, use a program called iPhoto Library Manager Get it here to make and manage multiple iPhoto libraries.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    I vote for the extra account to help mitigate any damage at all. That's really the best option of all and costs nothing.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Thank you all. You've been very helpful.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    That's true it is secure, but a pain. :/
  • Reply 7 of 7
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

That's true it is secure, but a pain. :/

Yes, it is a pain. Picasa from Google runs circles through iPhoto. And it can handle 250,000 photos without slow-down whereas iPhoto chokes with 4,000 that I have in my library. Picasa runs in a PIII 935Mhz with 512 RAM and iPhoto runs in a 1.42 Ghz Mac mini with 512 of RAM.

iPhoto needs to be optimized for performance before adding new features. Its slow as hell.