Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Well not technically, they said Adobe will ship PS 7 this Spring-that's old news.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    why the hell they didn't announce it and demo it at seybold I don't know. Many were asking about it at the show.

BTW, For once Macworld has a cool cover
  • Reply 3 of 23
    LOL, the cover would MUCH better if it said

Shipping <enter date> 2002 !!

I have a beta, so I know about the features. I know they want the world to know it's real and coming, but they couldv'e said when!! Maybe they announce that on Monday?
  • Reply 4 of 23
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Bastards - you beat me to it!

If the MacCentral screenshots are to be believed, THE BRUSH PALETTE IS BACK! wOOT! (first time I've ever said that).

Also, sounds like theres a new painting engine under the hood as well as some enhancements to the auto-levels type color correction tools (about time). 7.0 also sounds much more customizable in terms of being able to define tools with specific settings as presets that you can return to again and again. Not only that but you can set interface presets too so if you have two different type of workflows (web and print let's say) and need a totally different combination of palettes for each, the program will remember them and restore the appropriate combination when you ask it to.

Still not sure I get the point of the File Browser thing but I suppose it will be useful for managing digital camera archives and the like. Either way, I'm PSYCHED. Seems there is more new stuff than I suspected.

And add to all this, the wonderful little change that we can now change Layer, Channel and Path names simply by clicking on the item that needs to be changed (within its palette). NICE.

Oh and improve save-for-web features as always. I'm ready to kiss Classic's venerable (but old) ass goodbye. I'm guessing this puppy will ship before the end of March. Keep your fingers crossed!

[ 02-24-2002: Message edited by: Moogs ? ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 23
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    <a href="http://news.com.com/2100-1040-843783.html"; target="_blank">Photoshop on Mac OS X</a>

According to this C|Net Article, Photoshop 7 will be going on sale in April.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    Moogs-

Can't fine any save for web additions, it's pretty much the same.

As for you new found love for changing the layer name by double clicking it, I hate that because double clicking used to bring up the blending options. Now, I have to right click and select blending options. That sucks. Text still sucks if you have two text layers on top of each other- have fun getting the layer you want with the text tool.

The file browser is awesome. Mainly because after version 5.5 (I think) Adobe seemed to kill the "preview" button in the OS's open and save dialog. The thumbnail would only view if it was a saved PS file. Otherwise no preview, and the "make preview button" was replaced with Adobe's "find" button. So I resorted to using SimpleImage as an image browser and copying and pasting into PS. So now i don't have to do that anymore.

Some gripes, but that is expected I guess. I just hate when they change things right after you get used to them.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Adobe always tells the crowd the release date using quarter instead of month......

I am hoping it will *ship* by end of March

By the way. I already told my friend to order me the upgrade once the final Canadian price list is available
  • Reply 8 of 23
    Just FYI, nothing new you guys don't already know.

<a href="http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pressroom/pressreleases/200202/200202photoshop7newsrelease.html"; target="_blank">Adobe's Press Release</a>
  • Reply 9 of 23
    One word: YAY
  • Reply 10 of 23
    cool....plus i will demo InDesign...perhaps i can finally delete OS 9 from my computer...was only waiting for photoshop and quark for X (along with Magic Mouse...but that is now OS X)....since i don't know if quark is ever gonna be OS X ready, maybe InDesign can take it's place...g
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Thank god - Classic is slowly waning in its usefulness...although naturally I'll have to wait until April or "Q2".

Quick rant - the "updates" to make this PS7, not PS6.5 seem very minor, just a few tweaks and twiddles here and there (note: the amount of time I spend repairing old scanned photos = .01% of all the time since I first got PS 2.5). Why the hell didn't they just carbonize PS6 (honestly, that's the biggest added feature here) and save us all a lot of whining?

OT - WTF is wOOT? (excuse my ignorance )

rr.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    I've been wondering myself what the origins of the word "wOOT" are. Anyone care to elaborate?

By the way Kid, I'm not sure if the Layer /Channel / Path renaming is a double-click, or just a single click and then another (like under the Finder). As far as blending options, I think it's more logical that they be a part of the contextual menu vs. being a double-click. That is not consistent with typical Mac behavior. Clicking on the name of a file or other entity usually allows you to rename said file.

So whether you're used to it or not, I think they've chosen to go the route of consistency with their OS X apps. But I know what you're saying in general.

Hey, what's with the Layer Styles Dialog - did they trim that down any, or are there even more styles to contend with? You'd think if they can make a Brush palette like the one they did, they'd do exactly the same thing with Layer Styles. Exactly.... Did they?
  • Reply 13 of 23
    Touching up photos is one of my favorite things to do. (good old stampy). Why in gods name is software so expensive? jesus, do you even know how many klondike bars I could get for the price of PS?
  • Reply 14 of 23
    The whole double click a layer thing is annoying in PS6 already - d-click a layer and you get blending, d-click a layer group/folder and you get rename. I know there are no blending options for layer groups/folders, but it's interface inconsistencies like this that annoy me.

rr.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    Hold your horses on P7, the latest beta .60 somthing is still full of bugs and really slow on OSX.

Make that incredably ssslllooowwww.

On OS 9 it runs much faster than X but much slower than P6 does now.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    LOL, just found out something in PS. My biggest gripe about 7 was double clicking the layer doesn't launch blending options like in 6. Instead it would hilite the layer options to rename it. However, I just found out that double clicking on the THUMBNAIL opens the blending options window! So you can click on the thumbnail and the actual layer. Very nice. Can't wait till it comes out. I'm so happy now
  • Reply 17 of 23
    I don't think beta 60 is recent considering beta 43 or whatever it was, has been out for months. You have a dino-beta most likely. If it were a dog, Macworld and the others who've test driven it would've said something to that effect.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    [quote]Originally posted by Moogs ?:

<strong>I don't think beta 60 is recent considering beta 43 or whatever it was, has been out for months. You have a dino-beta most likely. If it were a dog, Macworld and the others who've test driven it would've said something to that effect.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually the latest beta is beta 7 - the other numbers aren't beta numbers but build numbers.

Beta 7 is newer than build 60, which wasn't released to the testers (perhaps that's why it was buggy).

[ 03-15-2002: Message edited by: JLL ]</p>
  • Reply 19 of 23
    Wow...so they haven't gone GM yet? I thought they were already doing duplication (hence the wait until Apri). Guess not.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    [quote]Originally posted by Moogs ?:

<strong>Wow...so they haven't gone GM yet? I thought they were already doing duplication (hence the wait until Apri). Guess not.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I don't know if PS is declared GM, but I do know that the beta period is over and a Thank You letter has been sent to beta testers.