Apple to replace 5G iPods that exhibit hardware failure

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
In an effort to improve both customer satisfaction and the quality of its music players, Apple in some countries will replace any fifth-generation iPod (video) player that exhibit signs of hardware failure, with little-to-no questions asked.

In a message to its channel partners this week, the iPod maker told authorized service providers in Europe, Latin America and Asia-Pacific to replace fifth-generationÂ*iPod products that exhibit "any type of hardware failure," including "thoseÂ*that would normally be classified as abuse."

"For a short period of time, Apple will be evaluating all forms ofÂ*hardware failure on the recently announced fifth-generation iPod," the company said. Nowhere in the message did Apple indicate that there were any known or serious issues currently effecting the players. Instead, the company's move appears to be a preemptive measure.

Over the last month, Apple has been the recipient of complaints, negative media attention, and and a class action lawsuit as a result of problems associated with its ultra-thin iPod nano players. Customers argue that the protective coating on the players has a tendency to become scratched or marred to the point where information on the screen becomes illegible.

Last week, customers upset about the iPod nano issues filed a class-action lawsuit against Apple, demanding their money back plus a share of the companyÂ?s profits.

Introduced just last month, the nano is available in 2GB and 4GB capacities for $199 and $249, but does not ship standard with any protective casing. While Apple offers a set of iPod nano protective tubes for $29, the accessory was on backorder during the first month the player was available.

As a result of problems with the nano, Apple now ships a standard soft protective sleeve with each fifth-generation iPod video player that it sells. The company is also expected to include a standard protective casing with future revisions to the iPod nano.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    good good...

proof that Apple learns from mistakes...

way to go
  • Reply 2 of 33
    Apple has always been the best company to deal with about warranty issues, in my experience. Where other companies will take weeks or months to replace or fix items, Apple will do it "no questions asked". That has been my experience so far.
  • Reply 3 of 33
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Has Apple been refusing to replace the faulty nanos in question? Otherwise, it would seem that they are more or less reiterating a standing policy.
  • Reply 4 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

Has Apple been refusing to replace the nanos in question? Otherwise, it would seem that they are more or less reiterating a standing policy.

Ooops, nevermind, misread article.

• Reply 5 of 33
    that thing is actual cow skin?

i don't believe that
  • Reply 6 of 33
    ishawnishawn Posts: 364member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nathan22t

that thing is actual cow skin?

i don't believe that

Fuzzy enough to not hurt it anyways. It doesn't seem like leather to me. Didn't feel like it.
  • Reply 7 of 33
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    "including "those that would normally be classified as abuse."

That's just asking to be taken advantage of. And yet, for a LIMITED time when a product is NEW, it's a very mart thing to do!

They'll lose a little money replacing iPods that had nothing legitimately wrong with them. BUT they keep the early buzz positive. They swallow their pride and prevent people from raising a stink over damage they themselves caused. And if there should be some actual mfg. defect (which can happen), Apple's covered there too.

Very smart marketing--even if almost nobody knows about this decision. It kills off all the reports of "I put my iPod in my soft cotton pocket with a diamond ring, a horseshoe, a land mine, and a garden gnome, and it got scratched in just one day!"

Nothing for negative press to seize onto. And it makes the lawsuit-hungry stay in bed too.

Adding a sleeve to the nano is nice too. Not "necessary" exactly, since the nano is as durable as any other iPod in reality. But very good to have, if you've got a product as nice-looking as the iPod.
  • Reply 8 of 33
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    WTF? Hardware failure? I just got my video iPod the other day.

Maybe AI can elaborate on what hardware failures...
  • Reply 8 of 33
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    sorry, dbl. post
  • Reply 10 of 33
    Apple is really good about this. I just got a first generation iPod Mini replaced (got it almost 2 years ago), no questions asked, with no apple care and had to pay nothing. Walked out of the store with a new Mini and a love for apple.
  • Reply 11 of 33
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FreeState

Apple is really good about this. I just got a first generation iPod Mini replaced (got it almost 2 years ago), no questions asked, with no apple care and had to pay nothing. Walked out of the store with a new Mini and a love for apple.

You have AppleCare for that mini? Otherwise, if its out of warranty, you really are a lucky guy!
  • Reply 12 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

You have AppleCare for that mini? Otherwise, if its out of warranty, you really are a lucky guy!

I never have got apple care for anything. So Im either very lucky or the Mac Genius had a crush on me LOL
  • Reply 13 of 33
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I hope that this is just an attempt to find out what problems are occuring.

What time is the limited time going to extend to?
  • Reply 14 of 33
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    By the way, I'd much rather have the new soft sleeve than the old rigid belt clip. The sleeve is softer and less damaging, for one thing--but it's also less bulky. The old case wasn't much use UNLESS used on your belt. This one is useful anyplace.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    I think the goodness they're looking for would go a longer way if they'd include the Nano in that order...and include that protective sleeve when they replace 'em!
  • Reply 16 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by rwahrens

I think the goodness they're looking for would go a longer way if they'd include the Nano in that order...and include that protective sleeve when they replace 'em!

They probably won't do that because there are most likely a million and a half to two million out already, and the temptation to "scratch one" to get a new replacement would be to much for some to resist.
  • Reply 17 of 33
    Well, it's a possibility that if they don't do something voluntarily, the courts could always shove it down their throats. It's been done before. Batteries, anyone?
  • Reply 18 of 33
    Quote:

Well, it's a possibility that if they don't do something voluntarily, the courts could always shove it down their throats. It's been done before. Batteries, anyone?

Yes, that was pretty stupid.

But scratches are different. It somehow needs to be proven.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Yes, that was pretty stupid.

But scratches are different. It somehow needs to be proven.

Ah, but the batteries had to be proven, too. Nature of the court system...
  • Reply 20 of 33
    Quote:

Ah, but the batteries had to be proven, too. Nature of the court system...

Yes, but batteries are different. They are internal. The main issue there was their lifetime. While I didn't look, because I don't have one, I don't believe that Apple had said anything on its site or in its instruction manual about the limited lifetime that these batteries have. They also didn't warn about what happens to that lifespan if they aren't used or recharged properly.

Leaving an iPod in the glovebox of your car in the summer can ruin the battery quickly, as an example.

I think that Apple felt that people knew that rechargeable have a limited lifespan, and so weren't concerned about complaints. If the battery "failed" customers would come back and have them replaced.

Now they have these warnings.

They also wanted an unreasonable amount of money to replace batteries. They've cut that price in half.

Scratches are difficult. Though again, Apple should put a warning in the box. "Plastic can scratch. Please use the included screen protectors". Which, of course, they didn't provide.

But scratches are external, the user has more control over how they handle the item.

If there is a big scratch on the screen, is it really because the cotton pocket did it, or is it because they forgot to take their keys out?