Aperture + Collaboration

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
apple does not mention nothing about Aperture working with a network filesystem like xsan, or Aperture is an app for a loner photographer? could aperture store RAW files in a xsan system and several users can access and collaborate with those RAW files?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    See this interview with Joe Schorr, the Aperture product manager.

Aperture is currently designed as a single user application. There is no server component, and I know CoreData is not designed for multi-user access as EOF was. I'm sure Aperture can take advantage of shared filesystems. It isn't clear that it's a good idea to have two users working on a project at once though.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I woke up this morning with the exact same question, it's dirty shame that it isn't. This seems like the kind of app that would be extremely useful for thousands of photos by multiple photographers (it could have metadata about who took it, perhaps which story it's associated with if it's a magazine publisher who's using it, etc)
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Rob Galbraith had an interesting article about Sports Illustrated's Workflow last year. It's a pretty interesting look at the kind of environment that Aperture might be used in.

Clearly there is room to grow in this area, and I'll bet Apple has a few tricks up its sleeve.