Serious problems exporting movie files

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey everyone,

yesterday my 5G iPod arrived. Upon unwrapping it, one of the first things i did was use QuickTime Pro to export a short .mpeg file to 'iPod' format. It exported quickly, and worked perfectly.

After seeing how well it worked i removed the file from my iTunes library (the little movie was of little interest to me, just a novelty thing). Anyway, this morning i got up and decided that i wanted to put on it a couple of Gorillaz film clips i've got on the computer (not purchased through the iTunes store).

When i started exporting them one-by-one they were taking FOREVER. When i finally tested one, i realised that they looked great, but there was no sound - at all.

I've since gone back and re-exported the short movie file i successfully had on the iPod yesterday, and it too has no sound! When i say no sound, i mean that it doesn't have it when i play it back through Quicktime, iTunes or the iPod.

i thought that perhaps QT had stuffed up so i downloaded a trial version of 'Podner' (an app to export movies to your iPod) and again the same results. No sound.

I've tried exporting .mpg files and .mpeg files. Neither work. I believe there are two formats the iPod can playback, can i export to the second one through QT Pro, and if so what is it called?

Also, i've made sure that the original .mpg/.mpeg files play fine, and they do... no problems there.

This is pissing me off. Yesterday i got it to work. Aggghhhh!

If you can help at all, or know of someone having similar troubles then let me know.

Thank you

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    By the way,

i've read through the 'Creating Video for iPod' tutorial and im doing exactly as it says: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/tutor...tingvideo.html
  • Reply 2 of 3
    i've found a solution.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/20008

'Forty-Two DVD-VX Plus' it has a pretty stupid install system (it opens, searches your computer looking for a couple of apps, then upon failing to find them - they're all very obscure seeming things - it downloads/installs them off the net). Most apps would just have it all within a compressed file....

anyway, if you just let it do its downloading, then quit the intstaller then re-launch the app it works well.

Drag your files in, click 'Portable' then select 'iPod'.

Piece of cake.

Because it's shareware it means that it will only record the first 10 mins of a file, which was ample time for my files.

Also, i recommend 'Handbrake' (also on versiontracker.com) for ripping DVDs.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    The problem lies in the fact that QuickTime will not allow you to export the audio part of an MPEG stream. Apple claim that this is because the file is "muxed". This is total BS, because if you de-mux an MPEG into two separate files, one .mpv (mpeg video) and one .mpa (mpeg audio), QuickTime will still not allow exporting from the .mpa.

Since it isn't a technical issue, I've always assumed that it is a licensing issue related to MPEG1 audio. Maybe Apple will look into resolving the problem now that it's coming up a lot in light of the new iPod.