applecare ?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
How many people have bought applecare for their Macs? Rev A macs.. did it ever come in handy. I hear that for laptops it is a good buy but ..for desktops? I am getting one of those new Quad macs and the salesman is really pushing the applecare saying that for Rev A machines there is always more problems..great sales pitch!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    I bought Applecare for my Rev.A last September but haven't registered it yet as it hasn't had any troubles so far. For my wifes iBookG4 1Ghz on the other hand, Applecare has come in very handy. It was bought a year and a half ago and has had a couple of problems. One was that the lettering on the keys rubbed off strangely quickly (within 3 months) and they replaced the whole keyboard free of charge. Most recently the stick of memory somehow went strange, and applecare replaced it for free and it came the next day with a pre-paid pack to send the faulty stick back. They are really helpful and I'd definately recommend it.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Your machine comes with a one-year warranty ... and you can purchase the AppleCare 3-year deal at any time during that first year.

My theory is: don't buy AppleCare right away. If your machine has no problems during the first year, then the odds are in your favor.

If at some point during that first year you are led to believe you've got a lemon, then by all means, purchase the extended warranty. (I got AppleCare during the 12th month because my 20" iMac had been in for logic board problems twice.)
  • Reply 3 of 7
    I didn't realize that you could buy applecare and not register it..nor did I realize you didn't have to buy it at the time of purchase..thank you both for that insight

I personally have an old G4 that is 8+ years old and still ticking..although slowly and have never thought of applecare before..this new Quad has me wondering.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    Quote:

Originally posted by climber

I personally have an old G4 that is 8+ years old and still ticking...

I doubt it's THAT old. They were only introduced in August 1999!
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by climber

How many people have bought applecare for their Macs? Rev A macs.. did it ever come in handy. I hear that for laptops it is a good buy but ..for desktops? I am getting one of those new Quad macs and the salesman is really pushing the applecare saying that for Rev A machines there is always more problems..great sales pitch!

For the quad G5, I would.

The quad G5 uses a liquid-cooled heatsink. Last I've read, the liquid-cooled heatsink is rated with a life of two years.

I got Applecare w/ my Powerbook. For 2.5 years, so far so good. To me, Applecare is basically insurance.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    climberclimber Posts: 130member
    I purchased mine when thef irst G4 PM were introduced..it ceratinly feels that old!
  • Reply 7 of 7
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    what if all the people at AI or some other group created a sort of community insurance co-op thing where anyone interested pays $150 (less for desktops) or something more reasonable than the price of Apple care and then repairs to members are made out of the fund.

prone to abuse?