Western Digital NetCenter Drive

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I hope this is the correct forum for this question.

I am looking at installing a Western Digital Ethernet Hard Drive on my network to support my G5iMac (10.4.2) my wife's G4 iBook (10.3.9) and a PC running Windows 2000. In looking at the WD support site it says that the drive uses a proprietary disk formnat that supports Windws, Linux and Macs.

Does anyone have any experience with this product? Are there any files size limitations to be concerned about? Will I need somethink like MacWindows for the PC?

The WD support site says the drive CANNOT be reformatted into FAT32, NTFS or Mac.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,

David

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    Just by looking western digitals website, I'd say that it uses some western digital preselected disk format, and that cannot be changed, so if it brings any limitations with it, they are there to stay. It's hard to say which format it's using, if WD doesn't tell it, safe bet would be that it uses some linux disk format, that way they don't need to pay royalties to anyone. Linux filesystems are quite advanced so there shouldn't be any trivial file size limitations, but for video editors, and some other applications with big files, there still can be problems.