Motorola SLVR L7 with iTunes and Bluetooth headset?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Photos of an ultra-thin Motorola handset have surfaced on the Internet, revealing that the device will include iTunes but no headphone jack.

The folks at Engadget on Tuesday-- who somehow managed to obtain an unreleased Motorola SLVR L7 handset -- posted photos of the phone on their website along with a very brief overview.

While the SLVR is even slimmer than the Motorola RAZR's 13.9 mm profile, there's reportedly not that much more to drool over.

"Nothing too unexpected ? it has just about the same user interface as the ROKR E1 (though the menus are slightly less sluggish) and it has Bluetooth, a VGA digital camera, and a TransFlash memory card slot for storing up to 100 iTunes tracks," reads the post on Engadget.

However, the gadget site added: "There is one real surprise: the phone doesn?t have a headphone jack. Seems a bit odd for a phone with iTunes, but we?re hearing that Motorola will offer Bluetooth stereo headphones."

Motorola's first iTunes phone, the ROKR E1, has received a less-than-stellar response from customers and the media. And according to a recent analyst report, "as many as six times more customers are returning the ROKR phones than is normal for new handsets."

Nevertheless, Motorola has vowed to broaden its iTunes phone offerings, with one company exec recently saying that consumers could expect one new iTunes phone-related announcement every three months.

A previous report also suggests that Motorola's upcoming RAZR2 will also include iTunes.

(Engadget photo | More photos at Engadget)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Geezze...can we just get a decent flip phone that isnt a razor?

I would love to see something like the Verizon e810 with itunes...but Cingular seems to be pushing this razor thing like no bodys business.

The Razor keypad stinks. The Roker looks/feels cheaply constructed like the crappy free Nokias and a flat razor will just be goofy, who reallywants a cell phone with the dimentions of a credit card?
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Geezze...can we just get a decent flip phone that isnt a razor?

Answer: get a Nokia phone.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    I received a ROKR when they first came out. I posted a bunch of complaints, but ended up keeping the phone. My biggest complaints that are really nagging me on a daily basis:

1) USB 1.1

2) Poor camera

The lack of USB 2.0 results in *VERY* slow synching with iTunes. It prevents a "grab-n-go" mentality that is necessary for a device limited in the number of songs. This is why the Shuffle works...you take a minute and transfer a playlist before going for a run or whatever.

The ROKR is so slow with USB 1.1 that interface feedback becomes a problem...as in it takes so long to mount/dismount that a user is likely to think something isn't working right.

However, I have kept the phone and actually really like it. Being limited to 100 songs really wasn't a big complaint of mine.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    I guess I'm pondering what a set of Bluetooth stereo headphones for a phone would be like. Seems like you'd want something portable, and with a mic to use the phone. What could you come up with that wouldn't be bigger than the phone itself? I'm not convinced that you could get good performance out of two separate wireless pieces, so they'd probably have to be wired together somehow.

Quite frankly, I don't think I'd buy a phone without a headphone jack even if it is just for backup use.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by pmjoe

I guess I'm pondering what a set of Bluetooth stereo headphones for a phone would be like. Seems like you'd want something portable, and with a mic to use the phone. What could you come up with that wouldn't be bigger than the phone itself? I'm not convinced that you could get good performance out of two separate wireless pieces, so they'd probably have to be wired together somehow.

Quite frankly, I don't think I'd buy a phone without a headphone jack even if it is just for backup use.

My dad uses a bluetooth mic headset with his phone. I can't think of what it is. But, that's only one ear, and what would sound quality be like in something like that
  • Reply 6 of 12
    I dont think that its a valid picture, it could easily be photoshoped.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by macobsessed

I dont think that its a valid picture, it could easily be photoshoped.

There's more pictures at Engadgets web site. It looks real to me.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    flipping is dumb... Candy Bar 4 Life!
  • Reply 9 of 12
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nathan22t

flipping is dumb... Candy Bar 4 Life!

One problem I am having with this style, is protecting the buttons from being pressed unintentionally and such. Even with "hold" mode on, sometimes buttons do get trough.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

One problem I am having with this style, is protecting the buttons from being pressed unintentionally and such. Even with "hold" mode on, sometimes buttons do get trough.

YES, Someone else with my problem...I toss the phone in my pocket and go, dont want it to, like my moms old Nokia, do random shit because keys are being pressed...

The Nokia 6??? that Mom had would contact something in her purse and send me blank SMS in 5-10 message bursts(I being the only one in her speed dial who accepted any SMS, it may have attempted this on others)...even with the so-called key-gaurd enabled, Thats why mom now has a flip phone (at my urging). and she absolutely loves it, not to mention the lower bill, sans a crapton of SMS outbound.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DeaPeaJay

My dad uses a bluetooth mic headset with his phone. I can't think of what it is. But, that's only one ear, and what would sound quality be like in something like that

I think you could get decent quality in a Bluetooth stereo headset as long as you have a strong signal. Seems to me for a stereo set though that you'd have to run a wire between the two ears. I think if you tried to do wireless to both ears separately, you'd end up with them getting out of sync. So, would you have a typical phone Bluetooth headset with a wire running to a second earbud? I don't think you'd want your typical stereo headset with a mic to go with a phone. I've never seen one that was overly prortable, and they'd probably be much larger than this phone.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Nice looking phone!

I've gotta agree with nathan22t... flip phones are dopey. I guess if your purse is really teeny...

I use my Sony Ericsson Candy Phone with a S.E. Bluetooth headset. When the battery dies, a Jabra wired unit with one of those stick in the ear gumdrop headsets. With either one, I don't even have to take the phone out of my pack.

I don't get wanting to use up the already miniscule battery life listening to music. We ALL KNOW how little real-time talk-time we get from these small phones.

Just get a nano!