30 GB iPod Video Battery Life ??

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Ok, I just ran an unscientific test with my new toy. I'm planning on taking it on a trip with me in a couple days, and have been looking forward to watching a movie on the plane. I had hoped the only problem would be picking which one to watch...

Well, the iPod's been on the charger all day... fully charged. I took it out of the charger and started a movie on it. About an hour and a half into the movie (maybe less, actually), the "no power left" warning came up and told me to charge the thing.

I'm bummed, as it looks like the battery life for watching movies isn't enough to get through one movie... let alone have enough juice to play music in the rental car on the drive to the hotel.

Also, playing solitaire drains the battery pretty fast.

Is this in line with what others are experiencing, or is my battery a bit weak from the get-go? I've had this particulary machine a week and a half now, and haven't done much with it, as I'm paranoid to carry it around till I get my Invisible Shield.

Thanks,

Andy

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    here we go:

from apples website (tech specs page)

Quote:

30GB: Up to 14 hours of music playback; up to 3 hours of slideshows with music; up to 2 hours of video playback

60GB: Up to 20 hours of music playback; up to 4 hours of slideshows with music; up to 3 hours of video playback

linky (note this is the uk site)

stu
  • Reply 2 of 5
    all i can say is that you might want to try bringing the resolution down a bit the the chip doesn't have to work as hard, or you can use this nice thing for it's intended purpose and listen to music.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    i've been extremely impressed with my 60GB 5G ipod's battery. no scientific testing, but with normal use (mix of music, photos, and tv shows as i commute) i can go 3 days without charging.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Perhaps I should have gone with the thicker 60 GB, after all. As for its intended purpose, they put the video playback functionality on there, I didn't! I've got another hard drive mp3 player that works great for listening to music, but it doesn't play video... So...
  • Reply 5 of 5
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    I wonder how .mp4 files compare to h.264 files on battery life.