Bake offs?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I'm confused (a normal state I assure you). Can anyone tell me if there have been any bakeoffs between the latest PPC chip and current Intel models? I know that there are lots of comparisons between the double and single cores, but, how about Intel comparisons? Also, where will we be with the upcoming Intel offerings? Can anyone offer some comparisons there?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    its kinda cheating to pit unoptimised Intel software versus optimised G5 software, dontcha think?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by theapplegenius

its kinda cheating to pit unoptimised Intel software versus optimised G5 software, dontcha think?

Hi Genius,

Welll, it's not unfair if the answer tells us something about real world usage. Any bytes on this??
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by chip

Hi Genius,

Welll, it's not unfair if the answer tells us something about real world usage. Any bytes on this??

Yes, but the problem is that at the moment there are no apps to test real world usage yet, as very few apps are available in Intel builds yet - try doing Get Info on some of your apps and you'll find that the are all PPC builds. We'll need to wait a little longer for decent figures.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    By bakeoff I assumed you ment how long would it take to cook an egg on the bottom of a PowerBook as apposed to a Pentium 4 Extreme Laptop.

Now that would be a test!
  • Reply 5 of 8
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I think the thread author wants to know about bakeoffs between today's G5s and today's Intel PCs. Apple obviously is keeping any on the down-low because they don't want to be saying "Look how much faster our current architecture is compared to what we're going to!"
  • Reply 6 of 8
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Does "bake off" refer to the tests or what Apple does to its results?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

I think the thread author wants to know about bakeoffs between today's G5s and today's Intel PCs. Apple obviously is keeping any on the down-low because they don't want to be saying "Look how much faster our current architecture is compared to what we're going to!"

That's what I'm getting at Cosmo. If there is a change coming up, I am hoping that it will reap actual rewards for the first gen adopters. Of course, if Intel is in it for the long haul, improvements will occur, but, how many gen's will be paying the bill for machines of equal or not significantly better real-world performance? Or, is it the case that a switch is necessary because the PPC is not upgradeable.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chip

That's what I'm getting at Cosmo. If there is a change coming up, I am hoping that it will reap actual rewards for the first gen adopters. Of course, if Intel is in it for the long haul, improvements will occur, but, how many gen's will be paying the bill for machines of equal or not significantly better real-world performance? Or, is it the case that a switch is necessary because the PPC is not upgradeable.

Any 'bake-off' at this point would be useless, since the current crop of Intel chips are not the ones Apple is preparing for usage...

When the Yohans & Meroms & such start production, then there could be a 'bake-off'...

But to be fair, one could only wait for actual Apple Intel units to test against the outgoing Apple PPC units...

Same OS, same software (different compiles), etc. ...

After all, comparing apples to oranges never really tells us anything...

But comparing Apples to Apples, well that is another story all together!