CBS in talks with Apple over video content distribution

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
CBS Digital has been in talks with Apple Computer over the prospect of making its video content and television programs available for download from the iTunes Music Store, CBS Digital President Larry Kramer said this week.

The broadcast network on Wednesday unveiled plans to distribute three episodes of prime-time sci-fi series "Threshold" via the CBS.com website while it continues to weigh other distribution options.

In an online report on Thursday, Kramer is quoted as saying a partnership with Apple is a strong possibility as long as the "economic proposal is fair enough."

Apple has already struck a deal with rival network ABC, where it sells episodes of five of ABC's premiere shows, including "Lost" and "Desperate Housewives," through the iTunes store for $1.99 each.

While CBS Digital continues to mull over its next move, Kramer said his network's top priorities include "continuing to establish CBS.com as an online destination, moving more original content online, and aggressively building an audience through communities with mutually shared interests in CBS's programming."

Current negotiations aside, CBS has otherwise shown interest in jumping on the iTunes Music Store bandwagon. Following the release of Apple's fifth-generation video iPod, the network began offering free podcasts, from "60 Minutes" to "Guiding Light," on the iTunes store, possibly as an indication of things to come.

Last week Apple announced that iTunes store customers have downloaded over one million videos since they debuted on October 12.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Apple: We're going to sell them for $1.99 per episode.

CBS: Yeah, let's talk about that.

CBS: But we could sell them for more/less, right?

Apple: Maybe you're not following...

Apple can't let CBS undercut ABC and Apple can't let anyone sell shows at different price points. To do so would put the RIAA in a position to say "see, you have different prices for different videos, now we demand that songs sell for other than 99 cents."
  • Reply 2 of 36
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    What I'm concerned about is whether these companies will all decide to sell their content on their own sites. Kramer is persuing a deal with iTunes, but at the same time wants to make CBS.com a distribution center for their stuff. I don't know how that would work out.

What would be the price. What would be the quality level. And just as important for iPod users, what would be the method of distribution?

Obviously there would have to be DRM. This is where Apple will screw themselves. By not licensing their DRM to others, these others use WMP DRM instead, insuring that it WON'T play on an iPod. It's the rock and a hard place for Apple.

I think that Apple should do what Amazon does. Have stores within the iTunes site. Just make sure that those stores hew to certain iTune standards insofar as the interface goes. This has proven to be one of the most profitable areas to Amazon. It could be for Apple as well. Let these companies charge what they want. Competition will level the price field fairly soon. But the iTunes experience will be intact. Apple would still be able to sell as well.

They would probably get far more content that way. It's unlikely that most content providers would pass up a chance to get a place in the iTunes store.

Apple has the same problem with CD's and DVD's. Those companies want to license Fairplay to put on the disks, but Apple hasn't been willing to let them do so. So more and more disks will not be rippable to iTunes.

Apple really does have to think about this.
  • Reply 3 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Apple has the same problem with CD's and DVD's. Those companies want to license Fairplay to put on the disks, but Apple hasn't been willing to let them do so. So more and more disks will not be rippable to iTunes.

Apple really does have to think about this.

Other than the fact that these new DRM audio CD's are shipping with a Windows rootkit that idiot users are more than happy to install, how exactly are people not able to rip the tracks into iTunes? And what does any of that have to do with my Mac?
  • Reply 4 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

Apple can't let CBS undercut ABC and Apple can't let anyone sell shows at different price points. To do so would put the RIAA in a position to say "see, you have different prices for different videos, now we demand that songs sell for other than 99 cents."

I love it. Sounds exactly like the way "The Steve" might negotiate.
  • Reply 5 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by schmidm77

Other than the fact that these new DRM audio CD's are shipping with a Windows rootkit that idiot users are more than happy to install, how exactly are people not able to rip the tracks into iTunes? And what does any of that have to do with my Mac?

Because I've purchased CD's over the past few years that not only won't play on my Mac's, but in some cases wouldn't even eject from the drives, and in a couple of cases actually resulted in a complete lock-up of the machines. These played well on a PC.

You are talking about Sonys' software. But that is only the tip of the iceberg.

These problems have been well publicized. Many here have had the same problems.
  • Reply 6 of 36
    Quote:

What would be the price. What would be the quality level. And just as important for iPod users, what would be the method of distribution?

That is what is interesting about what Apple is doing. If you watch carefully, what they are really trying to do is standardize all of this. Make is easier for users/customers. They did this to some extent with podcasts. Now it is super-easy to get podcasts to your box and iPod. Users don't need to know how to configure a special podcast client. Just go to iTunes, search, find, click.
  • Reply 7 of 36
    Quote:

Because I've purchased CD's over the past few years that not only won't play on my Mac's, but in some cases wouldn't even eject from the drives, and in a couple of cases actually resulted in a complete lock-up of the machines. These played well on a PC.

You are talking about Sonys' software. But that is only the tip of the iceberg.

These problems have been well publicized. Many here have had the same problems.

But they will play in a standard cd player? I've never experienced this, so I still don't understand how a CD could be manufactured to not be playable on a Mac... especially when you are just dealing with regular CDA tracks.
  • Reply 8 of 36
    Quote:

But they will play in a standard cd player? I've never experienced this, so I still don't understand how a CD could be manufactured to not be playable on a Mac... especially when you are just dealing with regular CDA tracks.

Yes, they play on a standard cd player. Because computers don't play a cd the way standard cd players do. Standard players don't have computers inside to look at the information on the disk. They don't go on the internet to find the names of the tracks to display them in a player app. etc. All of this can be used for protection schemes. If it doesn't recognise the Mac, it can be written to simply not play. If they aren't careful, then worse can happen.
  • Reply 9 of 36
    FOX!

24!

NOW!
  • Reply 10 of 36
    I now to return of the humanfellow from November 2004:

When can Canada download TV shows?

Let is begin again...
  • Reply 11 of 36
    Quote:

Yes, they play on a standard cd player. Because computers don't play a cd the way standard cd players do. Standard players don't have computers inside to look at the information on the disk. They don't go on the internet to find the names of the tracks to display them in a player app. etc. All of this can be used for protection schemes. If it doesn't recognise the Mac, it can be written to simply not play. If they aren't careful, then worse can happen.

that still makes no sense at all. as I said, I've never run into this problem. can you give me an example of a cd that is known to not play on macs?
  • Reply 12 of 36
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    60 Munutes on the iPod O_o.

How About PBS as well. I'd love to have Front Line, Charlie Rose, Nova, The American Experience & Mystery!.
  • Reply 13 of 36
    amac4meamac4me Posts: 282member
    This is only the beginning. The shift is on and Apple has positioned themselves to be the leader in online video downloads and distribution.

It's only a matter of time before more entites line up to allow Apple to offer their content.
  • Reply 14 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

Brilliant: dead on correct. Steve and company find the sweet spot and spread it consistently to all clients.

It eliminates legal loop holes and provides a level playing field.

It forces the clients to win by providing the superior product, in this case programming.
  • Reply 15 of 36
    Quote:

that still makes no sense at all. as I said, I've never run into this problem. can you give me an example of a cd that is known to not play on macs?

Try these links. You will more likely believe what I'm saying if it comes from other sources as well. Actually, there are a lot of links about this, even from here on Appleinsider. But one or two should be enough. As you can see, it's easy.

http://www.wired.com/news/technology...,52665,00.html

http://www.digitalmedievalist.com/it...ve/000031.html
  • Reply 16 of 36
    ishawnishawn Posts: 364member
    CSI would make me a very happy iTunes user.
  • Reply 17 of 36
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    I'm wondering if there might be room for a different model. Why not offer a choice between free downloads with commercials or purchasing without.
  • Reply 18 of 36
    I'd take free downloads with commercials, myself. There are a few shows I might buy to keep at $1.99 per, but that will add up if I buy every single show I want to watch at that price.

Furthermore, to the person looking for Charlie Rose downloads for their iPod - you can subscribe to Charlie Rose through audible.com - they are audio only episodes, but you do get them 5 days a week, just as on TV.

Also, many PBS shows are now available (audio only) through iTMS' Podcast section.

Link to PBS Podcast section:

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...laylists&id=33

Much of PBS' news output is available there, and I suspect more is on the way.

It's also worth noting that Robert X. Cringely's NerdTV PBS show is available by BitTorrent download in an iPod compatible (MPEG-4, AAC) format. More info at:

http://www.pbs.org/cringely/nerdtv/
  • Reply 19 of 36
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Man, these guys are really slow learners.

So CBS thinks they can build the brand by selling content on their own site? Cool! Now, I just have to figure out how their site works, where it is, what DRM if any they are using, what format they are using, what resolution they are offering, see if it plays on what I own....

Now, off to NBC to do it all over again! And Fox! And Bravo! And PBS! And Discovery! And TMC! And.....gosh, what fun!

It must be why record labels have been so successful selling music downloads directly from their own sites.

And of course brand building is much more important to the consumer than silly stuff like being able to see everything that's available in one place with a consistent interface, pricing and formatting. You know, some kind of site that has proven wildly successful and has phenomenal market penetration and name recognition. But maybe CBS, that titan of digital content delivery, can do it better!

I know the "content providers" are hoping to maintain more control this time (after the runaway success of iTMS/iPod caught the record companies off guard), but man, this horse has definitely left the barn. While you guys were dicking around, "testing the waters", Apple done gone and made a business.

Just put your stuff up on iTMS already and make your money. So you're not going to be the gate-keeper to the digital future. Deal with it.

Anyway, most of your shows suck, so it's not like anybody was craving full immersion in the "CBS experience".
  • Reply 20 of 36
    This is all very fine but what of the shows such as ABC's Lost and The Night Stalker which are already being distributed. Is it just me but they were being posted the day after each show aired. But I have seen neither shows, following the slots on Wednesday and Thursday being posted. Has there been a contractual dispute that I was unaware of? Where are the latest episodes of these shows?

Dean