please tell me I didn't make a huge mistake

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I just bought a brand new 12 inch power book with a super drive. I paid 1299 for it/no tax. This is normally 1499. I know there are going to be some new ones coming out. Did i just mess up and make a huge mistake. This is alot of money, is this notebook going to be out of date soon. Or when the intel machines come out? Did i just throw alot of money away. Please someone tell me I made a good purchase and this computer will be nice for a few years. Please don't tell me i just throw away my money.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    New ones are probably half a year away, and there is no telling what technical trouble comes with the first revision Intel units. The next generation will be a lot faster, but I expect a price hike will happen too.

I have been pretty critical of the 12" PB in general. It has gotten multiple lousy updates (non-updates, really) in a row, and could be called an overpriced iBook. However, $1299 changes things. It sounds about right compared to the price of the iBook. If you need a computer now this is not a bad buy.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Take a breath and relax. The 12" PB is a great laptop. I have the rev A and have thoroughly enjoyed it.

When the new ones come out and you still feel unsure, you should be able to sell yours for nearly what you paid for it. Or you may find that you can easily wait for the second or third rev which always have more features and sometimes a lower price.

Have fun with your PB.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Remind yourself that any computer purchase is only months away from being made to look less attractive by new hardware. Any, ever.

So the only way to enjoy what you buy is notice that it does what you need it to, and if next years model does what you need it to a few seconds faster, so what?

It's not like the next iteration of the Powerbook is going to somehow eclipse all that has come before and change Computing As We Know It. Like every other update, it will be some amount faster, with a somewhat bigger hard drive, a somewhat faster graphics card, and possibly a few optional features made standard. That goes for an Intel based machine as well.

And that was going to be true no matter when you bought any computer.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by rick4him

I just bought a brand new 12 inch power book with a super drive. I paid 1299 for it/no tax. This is normally 1499. I know there are going to be some new ones coming out. Did i just mess up and make a huge mistake. This is alot of money, is this notebook going to be out of date soon. Or when the intel machines come out? Did i just throw alot of money away. Please someone tell me I made a good purchase and this computer will be nice for a few years. Please don't tell me i just throw away my money.

Yes Rick, that is a good price. Remember that, when I got the same computer in February, it was $1700! I love it. $1299, for this Powerbook, is *not even close* to throwing money away. It is actually a good value. It is an incredibly capable machine. I do so much with mine, and it is a work of art, in my opinion.

Plus, Macs hold good value, so if you ever want to upgrade, it isn't as hard on your wallet as the initial purchase.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    yes. 64mb dedicated video memory, 5400rpm drive, dvd burning.. and its a mac. can't go wrong there for $1299.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Buy the current hardware and be happy with your purchase.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Originally posted by Placebo

or, once you have your mac, build an AMD64-nVidia/Ati rig i just hit some nice overclocks, modding, etc, hella fun and satisfying. the dark chocolate to balance out the white chocolate milky goodness of macdom... get to know your new x86 overlords
  • Reply 8 of 10
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    I say buy PPC untill ~2007 because that lets others work out any first run Intel hardware quirks and intel-compiled software packeges like Adobe CS can be vetted in the real world and if need be patched.

Right now, if you cannot wait till MWSF 07 and plan to use it as a production unit, go PPC

My guess is that PPC Binaries will be availible till ~2009-2010 and by then you will likely want a new notebook anyhow
  • Reply 9 of 10
    yeah that's the weird thing ~ apple has R&D'ed x86 os X for about 5 years now, but companies like adobe/macromedia etc have only been working on universal binaries for 4-5 months tops. technically the main "culprits" are photoshop, etc type applications which have very altivec specific code for the core program and plugins..... hmmmm which makes me think, even if i can get hacked x86 os X on my amd rig, there are not much applications that will run on it ...!!
  • Reply 10 of 10
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

Originally posted by Placebo

or, once you have your mac, build an AMD64-nVidia/Ati rig i just hit some nice overclocks, modding, etc, hella fun and satisfying. the dark chocolate to balance out the white chocolate milky goodness of macdom... get to know your new x86 overlords

If I can build a Mac, jesus christ, I will.