Advice on PowerBook purchase

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Actually, this is my very first post, so hello erverybody.

I need a little help on deciding when to purchase a PowerBook. I'm starting my diploma thesis in April and therefor want to buy a new notebook (and because I'm sick of Windows...). I really don't need it right now, but if there won't be new PowerBooks until May I'm in trouble (and would have to buy the "old" one just weeks/months before it's upgraded). Of course I'd like to have something fast & stable that lasts for years...

Can anybody give me an advice when I should buy a PowerBook (15")?

Jules

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    krispiekrispie Posts: 260member
    aaarrrrggggghhhhhh!
  • Reply 2 of 10
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Well 1st of all you should wait until January 2006 for the Macworld conference. New hardware will come but no one knows if that hardware is going to be a Powerbook. After MW you could give it a month or two and then make your final decision just to make sure but you'd definitely have more info than you do now about Apple's Intel transition.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Thanks for the fast reply, hmurchison, that gives me something to work with.

[And yes, I do realise that it must be boring for some of you if newbies ask the same questions all over again - just picture me as a blonde, female PEBCAM and have mercy.]
  • Reply 4 of 10
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JinJules

Of course I'd like to have something fast & stable that lasts for years...

Can anybody give me an advice when I should buy a PowerBook (15")?

Since you did not specify your uses, I would ask, what is wrong with today's Powerbooks?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

...just picture me as a blonde, female PEBCAM...

Sorry if this is an indiscreet question, but what is a PEBCAM?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Whoops, good question. I have to admit that I am certainly no high-end-user - I do the usual Office-stuff along with a lot of Photoshop & Co. But I have to mention that I don't buy a new notebook every one or two years, so I'd like to have something which is "up to date". My Sony is turning 4 in February and to be honest: Photoshop CS is a pain in the ass...

I'd say apart from that the currently available PowerBooks are just fine.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Sorry if this is an indiscreet question, but what is a PEBCAM?

PEBCAM = problem exists between chair and monitor

8)
  • Reply 8 of 10
    then, as we all say to people who ask, if you need a new computer then get a new computer. The new PowerBooks look great.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

Whoops, good question. I have to admit that I am certainly no high-end-user - I do the usual Office-stuff along with a lot of Photoshop & Co. But I have to mention that I don't buy a new notebook every one or two years, so I'd like to have something which is "up to date". My Sony is turning 4 in February and to be honest: Photoshop CS is a pain in the ass...

I'd say apart from that the currently available PowerBooks are just fine.

OK, since as you say you are not a power user, a Powerbook as it is today would offer you about three years of good service for office and Photoshop stuff. Or so.

Now it is true that for the Mac community, the last Powerbook update was a big letdown. Apart the better displays in the big Powerbooks, this was hard an update at all. In fact, the 12" model remained the same as before. If the processor was changed to the MPC7448, then the update would be more substantial and I would say you to buy now. But this update being what it was, it is really tricky to give a credible advice. There is now a good chance that the next Powerbooks will be Intel-based, but there could be a final PPC iteration too (least likely scenario). Normally the next update will be around April-May next year.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

...There is now a good chance that the next Powerbooks will be Intel-based, but there could be a final PPC iteration too (least likely scenario). Normally the next update will be around April-May next year.

Okay, then I think I'll stick around till the end of january at least - I don't have a need to rush things, so I might as well wait until there is a little bit more information about the upcoming products. Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts.