Could all PMs be Quads?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I've read that Apple is putting the same motherboard in all new PMs. Does this mean that the lower two PMs could also end up with a BTO option for a second dual-core chip? I can see supply being tight right now, but when supply is available the option to go quad on a 2.0 or 2.3 would get people's attention and probably kick sales up again.

Is it possible? Also would it be possible for existing dual core users to add a second dual core?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kenaustus

I've read that Apple is putting the same motherboard in all new PMs. Does this mean that the lower two PMs could also end up with a BTO option for a second dual-core chip?

I doubt it would be BTO. More likely the dual dual would just be standart over the line

Quote:

Originally posted by kenaustus

Is it possible? Also would it be possible for existing dual core users to add a second dual core?

I doubt this even more. Apple would rather sell you a new computer so they would have done nothing to support this and likely a great deal to make it impossible.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    opusopus Posts: 15member
    I stopped by the Genius bar at my local Apple Store this weekand and asked this very question. I was told that the Quad uses a different motherboard.

Also, the quad is liquid cooled, so I am not how high of a clock speed you could run with 2 dual-cores without reworking the cooling system.

opus...
  • Reply 3 of 5
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by opus

I stopped by the Genius bar at my local Apple Store this weekand and asked this very question. I was told that the Quad uses a different motherboard.

Even so, this is similar to what happened with the introduction of the G5. There were two single processor systems then. By June 2004, they went all dual (although the first non high end dual at 1.8 GHz appeared in November 2003). It is just a matter of yields and cost. If those drop, you could expect quads across the board.

Quote:

Also, the quad is liquid cooled, so I am not how high of a clock speed you could run with 2 dual-cores without reworking the cooling system.

The quad runs at 2.5 GHz. In this frequency, even a dual needs liquid cooling. And we never saw a single CPU machine at 2.5 GHz. So, we don't really know what are the limits.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    opusopus Posts: 15member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Even so, this is similar to what happened with the introduction of the G5. There were two single processor systems then. By June 2004, they went all dual (although the first non high end dual at 1.8 GHz appeared in November 2003). It is just a matter of yields and cost. If those drop, you could expect quads across the board.

However, that is not the question I responded to. kenaustus asked if all the motherboards would accept a second dualcore G5, which I was told they would not.

I expect that Apple will expand its quad offerings, but not move to exclusively quads. I doubt Apple's Power Macintels will be all dual dual-core intel processors (at least initially), so Apple might hold off going all quad G5s.

Quote:

Originally posted by PB

The quad runs at 2.5 GHz. In this frequency, even a dual needs liquid cooling. And we never saw a single CPU machine at 2.5 GHz. So, we don't really know what are the limits.

As I said I don't know at what processor speed quads would require liquid cooling. Simply put, if the boards were quad capable it might require a new heat sink and/or water cooling, making it a less simple upgrade.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Easy upgrades have never been Apple's bag. They prefer you upgrade. They leave that up to the people at OtherWorld etc....I don't think they plan on putting a lot of thought/R&D into the PowerPC future anyway, I think that is clear enough. They had plans for IBM PowerPC-based Macs in the future, but were again lead awry. I think this last round is kind of a this is the best we can do, don't get your hopes up kind of a release. The next round will probably be Intel-based, based on rumors that the switch is proceeding better than hoped, timewise. Go figure. Wasn't that the allure of Intel in the first place? Faster updates, faster technology implementations, etc...