ipod firmware problem

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Here's my setup:

15gb iPod with the row of four round buttons - what is that, 3G?

iBook 1Ghz with 10.4.2

iTunes 6.0

Basically, I can't load any AAC songs onto my iPod - playlists composed entirely of AAC don't transfer, and Artists, Songs, and Albums that refer to AAC files don't show up when browsing. I get a message when I try to sync my iPod via the Firewire dock that my iPod's software is too old, even though I ran the latest iPod software update when it came out in mid-October. I've been having the problem since then, but only just decided to deal with it. Today I manually downloaded this update again, and when I tried to install it, got to the point in the installation process where it asked which volume I wanted to install on (either the iBook's harddrive or my iPod's) but the iPod's icon had a red (!) symbol imposed over it, with the message that the software update required OS 10.2.8 or later.

Which is odd. Because I have 10.4.2 and iTunes 6. I think I read something on Apple's website about needing to connect with USB 2.0, but I don't have the appropriate dock cable, I don't think, and am not prepared to purchase one. These are, after all, only songs (and all the songs) I've purchased through the Music Store that I'm now unable to transfer, which makes it extra frustrating. Why would Apple allow any incompatibility between software and firmware that would prevent their own songs from being transferred between their devices? Needless to say, it's annoying. Can anyone help?

thanks,

nick

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    interestingly, i have the exact same setup as you -- 15gb 3g ipod (best design to date IMHO) and iBook 1ghz. mine works fine with the included firewire cable directly or through the dock. you definitely have all the appropriate hardware to transfer songs and listen to Apple AAC files, MP3s or whatever.

did you run the iPod software full restore rather than just the update (in Applications / Utilities / iPod Software Update) ? it would erase everything on your iPod, but that shouldn't be a big deal since you probably have a copy of all your music on your hard drive.

As a Doh! sort of thing, make sure your computer is authorized to play the songs that you bought (if they play through iTunes, then you're authorized)
  • Reply 2 of 3
    OK, problem solved... real silly on my part. Basically didn't realize that I had to install the updater onto my harddrive, then run the updater - I thought the fact that I couldn't install the "update" onto my iPod from the original downloaded package was the problem. Now all my AAC's are copying.

thanks!

nick
  • Reply 3 of 3
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nickgb3

OK, problem solved... real silly on my part. Basically didn't realize that I had to install the updater onto my harddrive, then run the updater - I thought the fact that I couldn't install the "update" onto my iPod from the original downloaded package was the problem. Now all my AAC's are copying.

thanks!

nick

great! yeah, those little mistakes happen, no biggie!