A hardware announcement from Apple next week?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
So far there isn't much to go on, but rumblings indicate that Apple is gearing up to make some form of final hardware-related announcement as early as next Monday. With seemingly all of its holiday-focused consumer products already on the market, sources speculate that the announcement could range anywhere from the externally-rumored pink Madonna iPod (her new album is due on Tuesday) to dual-core versions of Apple's Xserve enterprise servers. In somewhat related news, Apple this week dropped the price on its Xserve Apple Drive Module 74GB Serial ATA 10K RPM and also added Bell Micro as a distributor of its Xserve and Xserve RAID products in the US. Bell Micro joins two existing US-based Apple distributors: Tech Data and Ingram Micro.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

sources speculate . . . dual-core versions of Apple's Xserve enterprise servers.[/url][/c]

In the distant future I'll be in the market for an Xserve. I was wondering when the dual-core version was going to be available. Maybe by the time I'm ready to buy the rev. b dual-core or even an Intel-based Xserve will be available.
  • Reply 2 of 36
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Dreaming of a 2U Xserve based on Woodcrest/Greencreek with FB-DIMM and a nice helping of SASsy storage.

Ah hell forget that. Bring on the Madonna iPod!!
  • Reply 3 of 36
    Intel-based Mac mini.
  • Reply 4 of 36
    bentonbenton Posts: 161member
    SC05 scheduled November 12-18. This event is not listed on Apple's site under Events. However, exhibitor list indicates Apple is located in Booth 2107. Wonder why Apple is keeping a low profile at a Super Computing conference? NAB Post+ in New York November 12 -14 is listed under Events. Either of these events reason to roll out new product?
  • Reply 5 of 36
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Benton

SC05 scheduled November 12-18. This event is not listed on Apple's site under Events. However, exhibitor list indicates Apple is located in Booth 2107. Wonder why Apple is keeping a low profile at a Super Computing conference? NAB Post+ in New York November 12 -14 is listed under Events. Either of these events reason to roll out new product?

I can understand why Apple is keping a low profile at the super computer show: Their current archatexture has 18 months to live, no one in their right mind would buy into Apple PPC for a super computer right now: a super computer is a LONG term thing.

I do however see new servers at the NAB event, great way to build a Maya/FinalcutHD studio rendering cluster with 8 cores for under 15 grand!

I say look for two form factors on the hi-end: 1-u 2x Dual core g5/1GB-16GB/10k RPM hdd and another at 2-3u with 4x-dual core G5, 32gb ram limit
  • Reply 6 of 36
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

I can understand why Apple is keping a low profile at the super computer show: Their current archatexture has 18 months to live, no one in their right mind would buy into Apple PPC for a super computer right now: a super computer is a LONG term thing.

Yeah, because all PowerPC Xserves will turn into pumpkins when Apple ships the Intel Xserve.

Quote:

I say look for two form factors on the hi-end: 1-u 2x Dual core g5/1GB-16GB/10k RPM hdd and another at 2-3u with 4x-dual core G5, 32gb ram limit

A 4-socket 970 system would require a new, very expensive chipset. Ain't gonna happen. (But then I said Intrepid 2 ain't gonna happen...)
  • Reply 7 of 36
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Intel based iPod!!

WoOt!

• Reply 8 of 36
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wmf

Yeah, because all PowerPC Xserves will turn into pumpkins when Apple ships the Intel Xserve.

Well, for supercomputers to scale, they need the ability to keep adding systems; Apple so far hasn't given assurances that that will be possible. It won't be easy to integrate Intel-based Xserves into a grid/cluster of PPC-based ones.
  • Reply 9 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

Intel based iPod!!

WoOt!

well, you may laugh but Apple already hasb intel-based products (iPod? XServe RAID? or both...I can't remember)
  • Reply 10 of 36
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mynamehere

well, you may laugh but Apple already hasb intel-based products (iPod? XServe RAID? or both...I can't remember)

The iPod has two StrongARM-based processor cores, manufactured by STM Microelectronics, enhanced with a PortalPlayer chipset. Intel manufactures ARM processors, but is not involved with this one, as far as I know.

The Xserve RAID has Intel chips, yes. That's nothing unusual.
  • Reply 11 of 36
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

This is exactly wrong. Scientific supercomputers have a useful lifespan of about 3 years after which they are consigned to teaching or some other purpose. In commercial CGI-based cinema applications, they usually do one major job before they are replaced. If you will remember, the original tower-based Virginia Tech cluster was replaced by the Xserve-based cluster after about a year. In other words, real people who have real work to do will get plenty work done by their PPC-based supercomputers before they are replaced by Intel-based systems.
  • Reply 12 of 36
    Originally posted by macFanDave

Intel-based Mac mini.

heh. not bloody likely i do hope that they legitimise the whole updated g4 mac minis though ... anyway Ingram Micro is good to hear, in AsiaPacific they carry a lot of tech hardware from high-end to mid-tier niche hardware stuff that isn't well represented in a specific country by the manufacturers themselves. quite a powerhouse worldwide distributor, so good to see they're going to be moving some xserves as well, although of course the impact of xserves in the business/science/creative production market is somewhat debatable
  • Reply 13 of 36
    Who's getting Xserves for christmas?

Apple really has nothing to update right now, so I dont think we'll see anything.
  • Reply 14 of 36
    xflarexflare Posts: 199member
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

Apple really has nothing to update right now, so I dont think we'll see anything.

.........except the iBook
  • Reply 15 of 36
    nijiniji Posts: 288member
    and a bluetooth mouse...
  • Reply 16 of 36
    An Intel Mini makes sense really -

We've already seen that the iApps work fine on Intel, which is enough software for most switchers needs.

Add the ability to boot Windows or Linux, and you have a perfect machine to tempt switchers.

• Reply 17 of 36
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    How about a dongle and remote for FrontRow on other Macs, like the Mini?
  • Reply 18 of 36
    tee hee hee *giggles* you said "dongle" teee he he he
  • Reply 19 of 36

Intel based iPod!! WoOt!

i'm not going to dignify this with a sensible response

(edit: yeah yeah, i know my response about the dongle was not a sensible one but anyway....)
  • Reply 20 of 36
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

Intel based iPod!! WoOt!

i'm not going to dignify this with a sensible response

(edit: yeah yeah, i know my response about the dongle was not a sensible one but anyway....)

you said DONGLE again!!