powerbook model help

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Ok here is the deal. I just got a really good deal (1499) on a 15 inch power book model number MA015LL/A. It is a 1.5, Superdrve, 64 video ram, 512 ram on board. Here is my question; how old is this system. I bought it brand new from the apple store, and they told me this was the model that came out right before the current model, but I"m thinking this system is alot older then that. For some reason I thought there was a model that was 1.67 that had the older ram speed in it, and the newer model that came out just changed the speed of the ram, and had a better display. AM I totally wrong? How old is this system? Did I get ripped off? if you go to the apple.com website and look at the 15 inch powerbook models, what was the model that came out right before the 15 inch model that is on there site right now?

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Choose About This Mac from the Apple menu and see under "Hardware" if the "Machine Model" is "PowerBook 5,4" or "PowerBook 5,6".

"PowerBook 5,4" = April 2004

"PowerBook 5,6" = January 2005
  • Reply 2 of 5
    it is a 5,6 is this a good system? or bunk?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rick4him

it is a 5,6 is this a good system? or bunk?

5,6 is the one discontinued in October 2005. As advertised, it is the one prior to the one that is selling now (5,8 ).

Of course it's a good system. All Powerbooks are good systems.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Ok, i got a hook up and got a really good deal on the new 15 inch powerbooks. is there really that big of a diff in this one. it seems like only the ram is faster and it has a 128 video card, and a "hd" screen..will i even be able to notice any of these "features" i feel like I just got ripped off
  • Reply 5 of 5
    well, how much did you spend? if you spent over 2000 dollars then yes, you got ripped off.